• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New Clutch, Choices/Opinions?

DanMan2k06

NAXJA Forum User
I'm getting all the parts together for the AW4 to AX15 swap, and was wondering what your guys' opinions were on clutches? The trans came out of a 60k 1998 and is in great shape, but the clutch was contaminated with fluid when removed, and the pilot bearing was chewed up the same way. So I figured I might as well do a clutch kit and get it all taken care of in one shot. Just curious what brands or types you guys like? I want something that is super soft on engaging for offroading, yet still bearable has enough pep for the street. None of this on or off stage 2/3 nonsense.

Also where to get one? The cheapest I've found online for an oem knockoff was $145.

I've had no problems with a Luk clutch from the local auto parts store. I'd also think about just buying a new flywheel if there's any question about the donor flywheel.

How did the clutch get contaminated? Fluid from what?

That's an external slave. Over the years, I've started to think that there's a lot of problems attributed to the clutch that may be master or slave related instead. Fortunately, external slaves are simple to replace.

The flywheel looks fine, normal wear but I'll take a second look. The clutch was contaminated with 75-90 gear oil. The disc was set next to the trans, which I didn't realize was leaking profusely, being on it's side... So the clutch disc got completely soaked in fluid. The master and slave cylinders both look fine as well. Not a failure contamination, just carelss.

I've had OEM, Luk and Centerforce.
OEM lasted nearly forever.
Centerforce lasted about 6 months. The weights on their dual friction pressure plate would stick in the 'engaged' position when everything warmed up. The longer you drove, the harder it became to shift. But at least it worked fine every morning. :rolleyes:
The Luk has been fine so far. I have noticed a random chatter, nothing too bothersome. BTW - Luk makes the disk in the Centerforce kit.

The basic Luk clutch isn't expensive and seems well liked.

just put in a new acdelco clutch and flywheel form rock auto. price was right and so far no problems but ive put less than 100mi on it.

Back