• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

T-case interchange Man/auto

504fun

NAXJA Forum User
I have a built 231 from my TJ. I'd like to put it in my XJ. I've got an NV3550 in the TJ and a AW4 in the XJ. The 231 has the tera low 4:1 kit.

Can I swap my TJ 231 into my XJ? I believe the 4:1 case has several bolt patterns to clock the T-case. I'm not worried about that, I will figure out clocking one way or another. I'm worried about output shaft stick-out length or???

Thanks

You're going to need new driveshafts I believe.

EDIT: Ehh you didn't specify what t-case is in the xj now. If you already have the 231 in you should be ok, or close to it. Maybe some minor work. If you have the 242 and are swapping, you're going to need new driveshafts all around.

I'm pretty sure a tj 231 is a xj 231 is a mj 231 etc... Just make sure the years are interchangeable or you're going to end up with different input/output shafts.

Last edited:
What year is the XJ?

The TJ has a 23 spline input. If your XJ is 91 or newer it will have a 23 spline input as well. If the inputs are the same, the case will work.

sorry, it's a 1999 xj with a stock 4.0/aw4/231 in it right now. The TJ is a 2002 with 4.0/nv3550 and tera low 231.

I'll make a front drive shaft if I have to. I've done it before. My D30 is inheriting my TJ's warn 5.5 locking hub conversion, so a perfectly balanced drive shaft is no big deal. It sounds like the front shaft will be fine though. I'm considering the T-case swap because the TJ case has a slip yoke eliminator. The 4:1 is extra credit and a possible problem in terms of a swap.

I'm swapping my built TJ rear d44 too. If I didn't swap T-cases will I need a rear drive shaft going from a 8.25 to a D44?

At which point (lift) does a SYE become a good idea in an xj?

Bottom line. I'm swapping all my TJ D30 parts into my XJ housing from the TJ and the complete TJ rear D44 is going in too. I already have a few parts to lift it 3-4". I know exactly what I need to complete the lift/steering. I'm just not sure about my rear drive shaft. If I have to swap out the rear drive shaft for any reason I will swap my SYE'd T-case and get the proper CV drive shaft for the XJ.

A lot of "if this then that" type stuff, but thanks for the help.

sorry, it's a 1999 xj with a stock 4.0/aw4/231 in it right now. The TJ is a 2002 with 4.0/nv3550 and tera low 231.
Should be a simple swap then.

I'm swapping my built TJ rear d44 too. If I didn't swap T-cases will I need a rear drive shaft going from a 8.25 to a D44?
Yes.

It varies from jeep to jeep, but the standard seems to be around 3.5 inches. Older ones may be able to go a little more, new ones maybe less, it just depends on your exact car. I have a 97 with a 2" BB and had to put on a t-case drop because of vibes.

and the complete TJ rear D44 is going in too
I assume you already know that the mounting is completely different? Get ready for some welding and geometry :)

I'll make a front drive shaft if I have to. I've done it before. My D30 is inheriting my TJ's warn 5.5 locking hub conversion, so a perfectly balanced drive shaft is no big deal. It sounds like the front shaft will be fine though. I'm considering the T-case swap because the TJ case has a slip yoke eliminator. The 4:1 is extra credit and a possible problem in terms of a swap.

Bottom line. I'm swapping all my TJ D30 parts into my XJ housing from the TJ and the complete TJ rear D44 is going in too. I already have a few parts to lift it 3-4". I know exactly what I need to complete the lift/steering. I'm just not sure about my rear drive shaft. If I have to swap out the rear drive shaft for any reason I will swap my SYE'd T-case and get the proper CV drive shaft for the XJ.

A lot of "if this then that" type stuff, but thanks for the help.

You should be able to swap the entire front axle, which should be easier then moving all the D30 parts into your XJ housing.

There is a very good chance the rear driveshaft will work. I replaced my 8.25 with a D60 and used the same driveshaft with a conversion ujoint.

As for the rear D44 you will need to cut off the coil spring mounts and weld on a set of leaf spring perches. It is not very difficult.

Yup the gas axe is itching to turn all the rear axle coil brackets into scrap. I never like the way one bracket was piled onto another. it works and is clever, but I'll be happy with a pair of spring perches and shock mounts.

Thanks

You should be able to swap the entire front axle, which should be easier then moving all the D30 parts into your XJ housing.

That TJ D30 will be low pinion, so while its a bit more work to swap the parts over he'd end up with a better axle.

That TJ D30 will be low pinion, so while its a bit more work to swap the parts over he'd end up with a better axle.

Actually 1 of the first mods I ever made to my TJ, was a 4:10 HP XJ housing. Piece of cake.

I'd swap it back into my XJ, but I built a custom suspension and the housing is bent bad. Kinda how all this swapping building started.

I have 4.56's and ARB's in the TJ axles now. I'm going to just use it all and lift it enough to run 33-35" tires since I'll need the CV rear drive shaft anyway.

Thanks fellas

I tried putting a 231 in my 96xj aw4, the 231 was out of a 2002 TJ and the output shaft on the 231 from the TJ was about one inch to long. The splines were correct (both 23) but the shaft was still to long.

Back