• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

factory limited slip

hawkeye

NAXJA Forum User
im new to jeeps, so please forgive me if this is a stupid question. did cherokees ever come from the factory with limited slip rear differentials?

Sure did. It was an option. If the machine came with a full sized spare, then there is a good chance it has a limited slip.

but the factory trac-lok is not any better than an open differential. If you ever wheel it the stock unit will quickly wear out. i put a new one in my jeep cause i got an incredible deal for a factory l/s ($80 wholesale price) when i regeared it for my bigger tires. it only lasted 10K miles before it was already shot and making bad noises. I have sense put in the detroit true-trac gear driven unit and it is incredible!

I have a factory trac-lok LSD in my XJ (D44). After 22 years and 235,000 miles it actually still works. It does help off road, only if a tire is lifted or severe traction difference does it fail. and never a one-tire-fire on the street :D

Limited slips use clutch packs that will wear out. The lunch box lockers that ratchet seem to have a good reputation for usefullness and a price that won't break the bank.

Moving up past a $500 locker, you might consider getting a whole different axle, like out of a disc braked Mountaineer - comes with a locker if you snag it right, and the whole mod can be cheaper.

My 98XJ/8.25 came open, I put an auburn in that, our 97ZJ that I bought last year had a bad D35 so the whole thing had to be rebuilt, carrier was also screwed up so I put a factory LSD in, it was only $40 or so more than a new carrier. TJ is next in line for either a limited or a locker, not sure yet which. You also can't go by the full sized spare, my 98 had a full sized and no locker, you either need to get the build sheet, look for the 'needs additive' tag on the axle housing or open it up and eyeball it to be 100% positive.

Moving up past a $500 locker, you might consider getting a whole different axle, like out of a disc braked Mountaineer - comes with a locker if you snag it right, and the whole mod can be cheaper.

Is this essentially an 8.8?

My 88 (D35) has the LSD from the factory. Came as part of the tow package. Still works!

no factory locker in any xj's. i dont think that exploders or mountaineers came with a locker from the factory- LSD yes, locker no.

Back