• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

does this look right?

wheelinscott

NAXJA Forum User
so the story on this locker (8.25 27sp lockright). im not bashing any company b/c this stuff happens..... it life.

so i ordered this locker from just differentials because there are a sponser here and they sent the right box the locker wasnt right in it. it was a 19 spline locker. so i talked with jeremy (very nice btw) and he had me send back the lock to him (on my dime). a week later or so i got a package from richmond with my new locker. (heres come the tech part)

so i installed the locker and took it for a test drive and the locker started to rachet and the wouldnt lock back up. so i posted here and you great peep said it was my clearences. so i checked that and the were off. so today i went and pulled the lock to get the thrust washers to take to the differental place and noticed as i was pulling the c-clip out that it wasnt really lining up (the drivers)

so i wanted to get yall's opinion on if this is right or not. im going to the differential store to get thrust washers tomorrow. and im going to call richmond as well.

ok picture time

DSC00944.jpg

DSC00945.jpg

DSC00946.jpg

DSC00947.jpg

DSC00948.jpg

the last picture is to show that indeed the teeth meshed but it didnt line up at all.

so is the locker drivers wrong or what?

i had a front locker on my d44 like that i shimed and i shimed i took out shims could never get it right so took out the welder it worked then !!!

im going to return in before i weld it up. i would just put the spider gears back in it if i was going to weld it..... but i dont think im gonna weld it.

yeah i wouldnt do it i was just saying that style of locker is hard to get right mine did the same thing as yours did, pissed me off had to race the next day so i welded

Ive seen many Lock Rights that look the same way. To verify you have the right drivers take out the cross pin and put it in between the two drivers, it should be the same basic diameter as the the driver cut out.

don't weld anything. NIB parts should work. that last pic could be better in focus, but it almost looks like there's a bit of a void between the teeth on the driver and the carrier gear... but they do seem to mesh well... part of the OP was unintelligible engrish.

"so today i went and pulled the lock to get the thrust washers to take to the differental place and noticed as i was pulling the c-clip out that it wasnt really lining up (the drivers) "
that part doesn't make a whole lot of sense, but if i had to guess, i'd say that your thrust washers are potentially worn.

It looks like you may have mismatched parts. How does the alignment of the parts look with it installed?

with it installed the drivers werent even with the side gear it was lined up like \.

heres a clear pic hopefully

DSC00951.jpg

sorry about the hairy arm :shhh:

and the cross pin and drivers
DSC00956.jpg

can't tell poop from either of those pics. the one that would do us more good is the first, anyway.

sorry my bad i rushed taking the pictures a little bit (they looked better smaller as well)

The pictures are hard to see but again I will say they look normal to me. The outside diameters do not always line up. When properly installed the unit should fit flush and measure within the specified gap in the manual. What did yours measure? The drivers look like the proper ones for your model. If there is something mismatched I would say its the Couplers. How do they fit inside the carrier case? They should be a very snug fit when slid into position.

what condition are the springs in?

what was your actual measurement on the gap?

the big metal pieces themselves (couplers, drivers, etc) of lunchbox lockers aren't usually the culprit.

the springs are brand new in very good condition (i ordered a new set from summit as well). the measurment of the gap is off and im getting new thrust washers today. the measure ment between the drivers was .110" and the manuel said it needed to be at like .156" and the thrust washer i have measure at like .033"

thanks for yall's help. so ill get new thrust washers today and try and put it in tonight and report back.

that .046" difference is pretty significant.

the springs are brand new in very good condition (i ordered a new set from summit as well). the measurment of the gap is off and im getting new thrust washers today. the measure ment between the drivers was .110" and the manuel said it needed to be at like .156" and the thrust washer i have measure at like .033"

thanks for yall's help. so ill get new thrust washers today and try and put it in tonight and report back.
????? That would mean you need to remove some spacers!

if i removed the washers then it would make locker/carrier contact. is that ok? there is only one on each side.....

update:

so i went to the local differental supplier and got new thrust washers. the problem is that the old ones i already have are .033 and the new ones are .034 i asked if they had thinner ones and the guy looked at me like im stupid (im getting that alot lately)and the asked if i can remove the washers and he said no. so im between a rock and a hard place now im gonna call some local 4x4 shops and see what i can do there.

thanks for letting me vent

Have you called Richmond or Just Diff's about the clearance problem?

Back