• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

steering like this...go or no go

wishihad1

NAXJA Forum User
im pretty much planning on doing something along these lines for steering

i need something strong enough to hold up to hydro assist, and this is easy to build, and cheap. i dont have the money to do high steer, so i figure this will suffice
https://www.tomsbroncoparts.com/images/imported/3881-3884kit.jpg

now should i put the tie rod under the knuckle and bring the drag link down closer to the knuckle. that will take a lot of stress off that bolt, but id loose a little clearance.

or will that set up be plenty strong. it just seems like there would be a lot of stress with both being on top, and the leverage of the drag link being high up on the bolt.

also should i go with 3/4 inch heims, or 7/8 inch stuff

Personally, I would put the tie rod under the knuckle... like you said, to take some stress off that bolt. And definitely run the 7/8" shank on the heims (w/ a 3/4" bore if you want)... because... well, why not?
dunno.gif

Billy

just weld a piece to the knuckle so that it's in double shear :gee:

please, don't do that. moving the tie rod under the knuckle would be good. but, note that either way the bolt will be experiencing stress in 2 different directions no matter what, just that the moment arm will be decreased, by the appearance of a factor of 2... i'd still put the tie rod under the knuckle. just make sure it's some sort of huge DOM or something. it wont' be the weak link (in terms of bending, in that case)

Over the knuckle will work fine as long as you use grade 8 or better for the bolt. There are several setups out there that use this design with no issues. Going under the knuckle would reduce the stress on the bolt though.

sounds cool...and im going to run 1.5 DOM with .250 wall...dont think it gets much stouter then that for steering
jks WJ steering: 1.25 x .375 wall tie rod and drag link :spin1:

yea yea....7/8 inch heim joint>tiny ass jeep rod ends

and sure....i could run 2 inch DOM up front with .5 inch wall...but thats stupidity. considering the majority of people run .120 wall, ive doubled that

Over the knuckle will work fine as long as you use grade 8 or better for the bolt. There are several setups out there that use this design with no issues. Going under the knuckle would reduce the stress on the bolt though.

I wouldnt even do it with Grade 8.

F911 or bust.

http://www.f911.com/

Im running something similar. 3/4" heims, .330 tierod, F911 hardware. PSC hydro assist.

All working good for me!

photo1.jpg

holy poop that's beefy

does someone have a link to a write up on this?? Ive been havin alot of stock steering issues and Im over it!!! I want to upgrade!!!!

Thats bomb proof's steering links. Its a good set up but a major pita to set up. drilling the knuckle, and supplied bolt. Better have a drill press.

I did not want to run the tie-rod over the knuckle, it just looks like to much leavrage.
Tie-rod is 1 3/4 1/4 wall chromolly. Draglink is the same just 1 1/2.

Damn. Does your tie rod hit the cover? I have 1.5" and it hits the cover right before full lock.

Here's my setup...

Img_2623.jpg

Img_2622.jpg

Img_2621.jpg

I love the steering BTW. It rides and tracks great.

I'm not a fan of ball joints.

Back