• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Multi-purpose build

JeffsJeep04

NAXJA Forum User
Doing a build up on my 98 classic to make it a good all around DD/weekend warrior. I used to wheel my 89 YJ that had d44's, 3.5" of lift, 36 iroks, and a full cage (among other stuff), but that is currently on jack stands until I can afford to re-build it, so in the mean time, I'm going to do a mild build on the XJ. Uwharrie isn't too far, and tellico is doable too. This thing is still clean (60k miles, old lady driven until 27k miles when I got it), so it's going to be wheeled a little lighter then my YJ was. I'll bypass with it before taking a dent. It's going to be a very different style of wheeling, but I'm pretty excited for the new challenge. I'm on a limited budget, so money is going to be saved where possible...but I also love the way the XJ drives, and use it on long road trips, so drivability will not be sacrificed.

Basic plans are as follows:

RE 3.5" superflex with full packs and an adjustable track bar. I'm going to hold off on an SYE to see if it's needed or not. (soon to be on order)

285/75R16 dunlop mud rovers on rubi rims (waiting in the shed to be put on)

Front receiver hitch (in progress of being installed)

Stock skid plate

So, here is some before and where I'm at pictures:

XJReceiver1.jpg

Not gonna fit stock :laugh:
XJ-Before.jpg

Rims and tires
XJRubiRims.jpg

XJTreaddepth.jpg

Only damage on the rims:
XJRimdamage.jpg

Front coming apart for receiver instal:
XJReceiver2.jpg

Front end caps trimmed up:
XJBumpertrim.jpg

CB:
Cobra18XJ.jpg

It's all been going pretty well...really can't wait to throw the lift on and get those tires on. Just gotta find someone in NC looking for some nice 235's on eccos and a cobra 75 now ;)

Looking good. You'll end up wanting to trim those corners more since that is where you'll be rubbing and clean the line up. I know ended up going back after 2-3 more times. Looks like its hanging down

Yup, it's angled down. I'm going to square it up a bit before I get everything bolted together. The bumper is just sitting on right now, I haven't drilled the holes in the unibody for the front receiver yet. I might just wait until I get the lift/tires on to finish the trimming like you said.

Visor was on it when I got it, along with some running boards. I took the running boards off, but the visor has kinda grown on me. I really don't think it's worth the effort to fill and re-paint the holes for the mounting and the wires. It's not in the way, not affecting anything, so it stays. I'm function over form, and taking it off would be purely for appearance reasons since it's already there.

This is a new build for me...but not my first time with jeeps ;)

I'll bumpstop before cutting the body. I like downtravel more then up anyway...my YJ was on 3.5" of lift with 36's, and it performed really really great. It takes a bit of work setting it up, but in the end, I'd rather stay lower then go higher. I think 31's on 3.5" of lift looks ok...but the tires just seem too small. Doesn't hurt that I got a killer deal on the tires either...

Well...finally got the lift done :D

I'm LOVING it...totally different animal then the YJ.

Front fender flares need a bit of trimming, otherwise not bad. I'll be getting 265/75R16's when the 285's wear out. They are just a lil too big IMHO, and that extra half inch on each side is going to work wonders...and should make the tranny settle down a lil on the interstate.

xjafterlift.jpg

xjditch2.jpg

xjditch1.jpg

rear sway bar ?

if it is still there, take it off. you will not miis it.

Great looking rig

i run the 3.5 RE and i have never had any real problems with vibes or anything, they say you dont need a SYE for that small of a lift. Rustys sells a lowering kit for the XJ though... replaces the old crossmember. Jeep is looking good too! keep us updated...

darjevon said:
whats with the visor??? is that a factory accessory?
Lmao...post my jeep up on :NAXJA: and all yall can talk about is my visor ;)

It's not factory, made by lund. You aren't the first person that has asked me though...Whoever did the paint matching did a killer job!

Great job, Jeff! That should work out perfect for what you intended. I love seeing before and afters. Cherokees seem so anemic in stock form with the springs all sagged and such. It doesn't take much in the way of lift and tires to get them all squared away.

Keep up the good work.

Brad

Back