• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hood lift MOD

Beast XJ01

NAXJA Forum User
Thanks to the inspiration of GoJeep and his site www.go.jeep-xj.info, I have used his writeup of adding a gas strut support to the hood, to do the same on my 01.
Pictures are pretty self-explanatory, but I'll answer any questions as best I can.

hood1.jpg

hood2.jpg

hood3.jpg

hood4.jpg

hood5.jpg

hood6.jpg

hood7.jpg

Maxwell said:
Because you can? Makes it easier to lift and it holds itself up.

Is that a XJ tailgate strut or something else?

BigG said:
Because you can? Makes it easier to lift and it holds itself up.

Is that a XJ tailgate strut or something else?

Yep, that is a 01 tailgate strut...got two of them from eBay for like $20. Got the ball stud bolt from a local dealership for $4, self-drilling self-tapping screws $3, scrap steel and screws/washers on hand. primered and painted all exposed/bare metal.

As for why... it lifts the hood when hot, actually holds it at a higher angle than stock, and the strut is more out of the way than the stock "rod" so there is more room to access the engine compartment from the side.

Maxwell said:
I can't count how many times I have tried to open my BURNING hot hood, and tried to get the rod to hold it up before the flesh started falling off of my hands.

Great job on the hood lift... now come do mine!

I replaced the struts on my rear hatch four years ago and took one of the old struts for the hood. Works great especially now when I am doing a lot of work under my hood. Makes getting in and out multiple times in a day a lot easier.

To attach the strut to the hood I went to a local RV/Trailer shop and bought a fitting used on topper caps for pickup trucks. Only cost a couple of bucks and bam it was done.

I also mounted my strut on the driverside incase I needed to use the factory rod.

Another benefit of the strut over the rod was recently displayed to me. I was jump starting a friends van during a rain storm and got stuck holding his hood up because the wind kept catching it and popping the rod out.

So there are more than a few benefits for this inexpensive mod.

That is bitchin' man. It's one of the mods that I've wanted to do to my black 90 forever because that hood kills your hands when ya open it. You may have just inspired me. Thanks for showing the pics.

I will be doing the same in a couple of days... got 2 hood struts and hardware from a salvaged liberty...

Aaron

This is something I really need to do on mine seeing how the hood prop on mine is still at the front of the engine bay and with that fan and no shroud there I have gotten more than one good scar reminding me to be careful.

Awesome mod!!!:worship: Just wondering, I'd imagine that the spring always has force being applied up on the hood, what did you do to keep the pressure off of the release cable when you pop it open? Or does it even make a difference? :dunno:

Wow, that's a cool simple mod!! I've always envied ZJs with their hoods that you just pop open and they go up and stay!

4x4life05 said:
Awesome mod!!!:worship: Just wondering, I'd imagine that the spring always has force being applied up on the hood, what did you do to keep the pressure off of the release cable when you pop it open? Or does it even make a difference? :dunno:

I think I can answer your question. When the hood is closed the strut is applying force parallel to the "plane" of the hood itself, so if it were to move the hood while closed, it would move forwards. Once you pop the hood and move it up a tiny bit, the strut will start applying a force parallel to the "plane" of the hood, and move it up for you!!

OOOOO I understand now haha, thanks for clearing that up for me...it looks like I'm off to the junk yard to find me a strut lol.

I like.

this is one the things I have been wanting to do, but never got around to. Just got bumped up on the list.

as far as benefits go, I would have to add safety to the list. I have always been scared that a gust of wind or somthing would pop the hood off of the factory prop, and give me my eleventh concusion. This definately would stop that from happening.

HAHAHAHAHA!!!! But you're really not bad ASS unless you've got TWO lift struts, now are you!?!?

standard

53guy said:
People should not be AFRAID of THEIR spelling; Bad spellers should be AFRAID of THEIR fellow board users ball busting.
:D

I normally would not point this out, but it's in your signature line for every one of your posts. I know that you're a bright guy based on your write-ups and wouldn't want people to think otherwise.:cheers:

SpartanToJo said:
:D

I normally would not point this out, but it's in your signature line for every one of your posts. I know that you're a bright guy based on your write-ups and wouldn't want people to think otherwise.:cheers:

HAHAHAHA! GOOD catch man, thanks a bunch, fixed it. I feel kinda retarded that I didn't catch that before.

Back