• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

30 housing flex

JeeperAmy

NAXJA Member #859
Just a little question for those that use and abuse a D30 front.

How are some users keeping these housings from flexing i.e. truss, bearing girdle cover etc?

This question is focused at the people that abuse these with 35" or better tires locked and you have broken a few shafts.

I have a problem child axle on my books and just curious as too what other fixes people are doing to cure the problem.

if you feel like youll be jumping it, or being extremely hard on it, id get a tnt truss, or some form of a truss like that, and gusset the inner C-s a little bit.

mine was bone stock, other then a locker and held up find to 35s. i wasn't easy on it, but i knew when i needed to use my head more then my foot. dont get the tire bound up on a big root, ledge, rock etc and youll be ok.

never broke a shaft. that said it also depends a lot of what kind of 35 you run. just a regular old Mud terrain, and youd be suprized at what you can put it through. 35 inch bogger..youll be replacing shafts more then wheeling

I haven't had an issue running 35's yet and I don't jump my Jeep, the problem is with my ARB. It leaks, but only when the front is flexed out. So, I was thinking the housing is flexing so much that it is causing air to leak or somehow the flex and leak are realted.

Im running 35s on my stock 30 locked and greared in a new model XJ. I havent had any issues with it. Ive rolled my jeep, broken axles, snapped u joint, and treated it like shit. Ive never had a problem, but I dont jump my XJ either. I never put any money into it bc I have a d60 im swapping in, so if it snaps I dont care.
If your really going to set it up right then get the T&T truss and gusset the upper nuckles. Otherwise run it and realize its a cheap disposable axle.

the problem is with my ARB. It leaks, but only when the front is flexed out. So, I was thinking the housing is flexing so much that it is causing air to leak or somehow the flex and leak are realted.

Have you checked your air lines, just to make sure they aren't cracked/run in such a way that could cause some interference when flexing?

Have you checked your air lines, just to make sure they aren't cracked/run in such a way that could cause some interference when flexing?

The air lines look good. It was the first run out with the ARB. The only other thought was there was something in the seals causing the leak. I have this posted on a few other boards to get some ideas of the issue and fix.

I haven't had an issue running 35's yet and I don't jump my Jeep, the problem is with my ARB. It leaks, but only when the front is flexed out. So, I was thinking the housing is flexing so much that it is causing air to leak or somehow the flex and leak are realted.

I had the same issue. You have to make sure that the carrier is in the housing as tight as it can be. F'ing tight!
Run a truss and a good quality cover & it will be fine then.

A good truss, welded to the third, and a good solid cover. Run quality gears, too.

Housing1.jpg

Housing2.jpg

Back