• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Since you've asked so nicely...

5-90

NAXJA Forum User
A lot of people have asked me about getting their alternators to co-operate with the rest of their vehicle when the PCM regulator is cooked.

Since I had to go talk to Rod anyhow (to verify his pricing, it had been a while...) I also asked him about using some other external regulator to bypass the PCM and make the alternator work properly again. I've just posted the basic instructions on using a Prestolite P8-405/P8-405A regulator to make things go again. They're on my website - with links from my Tech Index and San Jose Generator's Pricing page (since I also had to add the prices for the units.)

Note a couple of things...
1) The Prestolite units specified are listed as being "For Marine Applications" - no problem using them in automotive, since Marine specs are usually more stringent (especially on electrics, when the Coast Guard gets involved.)
2) You will get a "hard" code from OBD, and there's nothing you can do about it. If you're subject to periodic/idiotic smog inspections, you're better off (over the long haul,) in getting a replacement PCM. Sorry, but until I can get put in charge of CARB (f'r instance,) there's nothing that can be done about it for now...
3) The instructions are necessarily "basic" - you also get an instruction sheet with the regulator. However, I've covered a couple of details that Prestolite didn't, and the page is not only meant as a supplement to that instruction sheet, but it also should help you decide if you are able to do the mod anyhow.
4) The regulators are not "widely" available - they'll take some looking. I put up Rod's prices in case you can't find them anywhere else locally...

By the by - a big "Thank You" comes from Rod for all of you who have ordered from him. I'm hoping that we can get him enough volume so that I can talk him into a few other things - and maybe give Mean Green something to worry about...

Anyhow - check out the page and let me know what you think. I've written up instructions for the Prestolite P8-405 (fixed voltage) and P8-405A (adjustable voltage) regulators - I've got a little research to do before I can confidently write up instructions to work for the "ChryCo Standard" regulator from the 1970's - which is rather more widely available...

5-90

is this renix or HO.....when i rewired everything i dont remember (didnt do) anything about alt power from the ECM

I checked out your page about the alternators.. I have a couple quesitons about the alternators. Are the alternators brand new ? rebuilt with new internal parts ? Is there a core charge ? On the alternator ID page.. I see the delco alts have a gray finish on them.. is this durable ?

Well...

The regulator update is for HO only - RENIX rigs use a Delco CS-series, which is internally regulated.

Alternators from SJG are rebuilt (inspected externals with new internals) - and I'm honestly not sure about the core charge right now (I usually walk in with an old part, go run errands, and my old part has been rebuilt when I pick it up an hour or so later.) That would be a question for others who have ordered from him - or Rod himself. He didn't give me anything for a core charge when I first did that page for him, and he didn't say anything about it to-day, so I'm honestly not sure.

The "grey finish" on the Delco I took a picture of is the "as-cast" finish - I do remember that much. Rod doesn't have any means to finish (his work is strictly electrical,) and he's done units that have had the cases refinished elsewhere. The only real "finishing" I can think of that gets done there is painting the starter cases black - just like they were when they were new (after tumble cleaning and some bead-blasting of trouble spots.)

Bear in mind, please, that I did the pages for him as a sort of favour to him (and us!) and I have nothing else to do with the operations of SJG. All business for Rod is to be conducted with him directly - if you deal with me for him, I'm likely to lose something in the translation. I have no trouble fielding questions, but when money is going to change hands, you'll want to talk to Rod yourself...

Anything else I can do for you all?

5-90

i got here late. anybody save me a seat?

Just what are we talking about here? Getting an alternator that you can weld with? what are we trying to accomplish?

SeanP

Initially, replacing the alternator regulator circuit in the PCM with some external regulator that can be sourced fairly easily and cheaply, and doesn't require getting a whole damn PCM replacement to make the charging system work.

Granted, I suppose it can be done where such a setup can be used for OBW - I didn't ask. Perhaps I should... Let me get a couple other things seen to first (gotta re-work something under that damn dishwasher, f'r instance...)

5-90

Back