• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

torqueing rocker arms and setting TDC with no distributor

mrtosh

NAXJA Forum User
Well I may be joining the 0331 head club here sooner than expected. Gonna pic up an Alabama cylinder head. I've changed quite a few heads but on the LS series GM rockers all you did was torque them down to 26 lbs ft. And go(self adjusting). My understanding from the Haynes manual you bring each cylinder to TDC to both remove and install the rockers to 19 lbs ft. ? Without a distributor though am I limited to the blow the finger out the hole truck or screwdriver trick? Or is there a better way? Then would you do cylinder 1, then 5, 3,6,2,4? In the normal during order?Thanks in advance guys,Sean

You don't need to bring each cylinder to TDC to install the rocker arms. Just install them and torque to spec.

Make sure you follow the procedure in the manuel to install your dist. Other wise the cam position sensor in the dist. will be off ,causing the engine not to run.

Good Luck
Nick

the only purpose for rotating the engine is to relieve pressure exerted by the valve spring when a lifter is on the toe of the cam. It's easier to bolt things up without any pressure, but isn't imperative to do the job.

Yeah. I've pulled the intake and exhaust before pretty quickly with the help of some swivels and extensions. The truck that I've found works great is starting the manifold bolts in a few threads and set the manifolds under them as opposed to holding the manifolds and trying to find a hole.

Back