• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Best side steps???

mtsz52784

NAXJA Forum User
i just got my 2000 xj and am looking to find out what are the best side steps for the xj... i want black ones i was looking at the westin ones... anybody got any pics to help my decision? Thanks

x2 I have to agree, they are great as a side step and work even better as rocker guards...slammed the hell out of my jeep on them the other day...just a scratch.

Become a member, PM them here, and you'll get a good discount. :D

Well i know that at autozone i can get the westin signature series for 200 also i'm (shamed to say) not really off roading yet because i just got it about a month ago and its stock so i have to wait until i get lift kit and tires.

mtsz52784 said:
Well i know that at autozone i can get the westin signature series for 200 also i'm (shamed to say) not really off roading yet because i just got it about a month ago and its stock so i have to wait until i get lift kit and tires.

Learn how to wheel it stock, much fun, and still very capable. The sliders will offer protection when you go bigger, and run harder trails. Just my .02. Gool luck on either choice. :thumbup:

I like the look of the JCR's, I just wish I didnt paint them flat black....

This is what they look like.

100_1616.jpg

flexin2.jpg

100_1530.jpg

I agree with 12GuageXJ, learn how to wheel it stock! Youd be very suprised what you can do, plus it will help you in driving ability when you know how to wheel a stock xj. It makes you learn how to pick good lines so you dont high center with no armor. You can still have fun without a lift and tires. I always like seeing a stocker on our runs. id go with AJs Sliders theyre a good price and very effective from what ive heard. There were my 2 cents. hope i helped some.

I put on my AJ's hand me down rockrails today, and they are really nice looking, strong, and can be used to step up on for roof access. I highly recommend them for even a stocker, mine only has a 3" lift.

dont waste the money on westin PLEASE. You will regret it the first time you wheel your xj. You can get the same fuction, better looks and better value from AJ, JCR (http://www.jcroffroad.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=XJSL2&Category_Code=XJS) etc. Please do your self a favor and dont spend $200 on westin nerf bars.:shiver: for only $50 more you can get JCR with lifetime guarantee they will last as long as your rig ... westins WILL NOT LAST a few trips over rocks or stumps, and then your doors will be FUBAR'ed

stg2xjslidersdesc.jpg

Wheel stock, spend your money on good body protection (rocker protection, skid plates, etc.) first. then buy the lift and tires. the 200 you throw away on the westin steps can get you a nice set of Rock sliders that you will be glad you have when the Wheeling bug bites(and it will).

I've got JCR's stage 2's and they have held up great, and I've not been easy on them. They are not even in the same ballpark as the Westins,.... no comparison really.

Don't be afraid to wheel an XJ in stock form!! Learn to wheel it stock, you'll be glad you did. A little armor, and front/rear recovery is all you need to wheel an XJ.

Nerf bars, side steps are nowhere near the class of a rockrail regardless of who builds it. They really are not a good investment as they usually are not fully welded or have some stupid opening for moisture to enter and end up rusting badly. I've pulled many of these off that were only 2-3 years old and completely shot. You could wrap one of those nerfbars around a rockrail without so much as denting the rockrail.

Somewhere, just recently, I saw some rock rails that actually could be extended when not offroading, and then retracted against the rockers when offroad. Pretty sweet, wish I could remember where I saw them.

mtsz52784 said:
i just got my 2000 xj and am looking to find out what are the best side steps for the xj... i want black ones i was looking at the westin ones... anybody got any pics to help my decision? Thanks
When it comes to rocker protection, forget cheap poser stuff. Do some good research and select some rocker sliders that will provide HONEST protection. Then if they have something that looks cool, go for it. Once you need rocker protection, cheap ones will cause more damage than none at all. I've even seen good rocker guards fail because of bad installation.
If you want poser stuff, stay off the trail so you don't hold the rest of us up.:nono:

I bought a set from AJ (hell of a nice guy), and I couldn't be happier. I beat the hell outta these bars (I still have a small 3-4 lift and 31's) and I don't care about scratchs and such. I almost look for trees to slide around now. They are very beefy.

http://ajsoffroadarmor.com/

Here's the set that I have (picture off AJ's site)

SuperRails3.jpg

chelms27 said:
I put on my AJ's hand me down rockrails today, and they are really nice looking, strong, and can be used to step up on for roof access. I highly recommend them for even a stocker, mine only has a 3" lift.

Back