• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Horrific Steering Angles

tysonxj

NAXJA Forum User
So I miscalculated slightly with my D30 polishing...

ry%3D400

If you were me with one week to go before MOAB, (300+ mile drive) would you:
A) Run it as shown and hang on tight.
B) Drop the drag link TRE to the tie rod?

I will be raising the trackbar mount at a later date.

Cheers,

Last edited:
C) take the CJ-2A.

Was there supposed to be a pic. included with that post?

Yep, technical difficulties on this end, should be there now.

(I just picked up the CJ a week ago, it won't be ready for some time...)

I vote "B".
How's it drive on the street? Looks like it probably has some bump steer.

You could always move the drag ling down to the tie rod for the drive out and back, and move it up while you're out a Moab. 'What's it take, about 10 min to swap? :D

You've still got a week to sit and stare at it?

Drive the thing and see if it's horrible.

It drives pretty bad.

I have one week to:
debug new long arm install
debug WJ knuckle / brake install
trim fenders
install sliders
install on board air
install rear D44 alloys & brake bits?
complete e-brake?
install winch?
install BW flares?

I vote "B".
How's it drive on the street? Looks like it probably has some bump steer.

You could always move the drag ling down to the tie rod for the drive out and back, and move it up while you're out a Moab. 'What's it take, about 10 min to swap? :D

That sounds like a good idea!

Last edited:
With a list like that you need to get off the forum and get to work. :repair: We're headed out friday and thankfully my list is getting shorter. Most of the major things are taken care of.

As for your steering, if it drives like crap then I would double check your alignment specs but the angles you're running shouldn't give you any more than a little bumpsteer if everything else is good. If you must change something then you can either run a TJ pitman to raise the box end of your drag link to make them more parrallel or lower the knuckle end. I have my drag link attached to the tie rod and I don't like it for the dead spot and twist it puts on the tie rod. That will have to wait till after Moab to get fixed tho. Good luck and drive safe.

What is there to debug on your long arm?

Drive the fawker....you'll get used to it. :D

Re-work it when you get back.

With a list like that you need to get off the forum and get to work. :repair: We're headed out friday and thankfully my list is getting shorter. Most of the major things are taken care of.

As for your steering, if it drives like crap then I would double check your alignment specs but the angles you're running shouldn't give you any more than a little bumpsteer if everything else is good. If you must change something then you can either run a TJ pitman to raise the box end of your drag link to make them more parrallel or lower the knuckle end. I have my drag link attached to the tie rod and I don't like it for the dead spot and twist it puts on the tie rod. That will have to wait till after Moab to get fixed tho. Good luck and drive safe.

What is there to debug on your long arm?

This pesky job keeps getting in my way!

Confirm wheel base, caster, check and re-check all hardware, just the basics.

Drive the fawker....you'll get used to it. :D

Re-work it when you get back.

I am going to start driving it more and see what I think.
(couldn't before, old drag link is too short)

+1

Why do your D-rings look soooo tiny?

They are tiny! my brother put them on as a joke-

**stock pitman arm**

I would move the draglink down to the tierod. It seems like the angles would match perfectlty. Then of course rework it when you get back.

They are tiny! my brother put them on as a joke-

On a side note, I dig the shackles. I too have a small one on my bumper.
IMG_0473.jpg

Its a long story, but I drove around for about a month with a similar setup, you get used to it pretty quick and it was not a problem at all. Just go wheel.

DSC00001.JPG

Back