• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Pattern check por favor?

JeepFreak21

NAXJA Forum User
Well, since I'm out of shims, I thought I might as well get a few other opinions on this pattern. This is my first time setting up gears, so any advice is appreciated.

Backlash is pretty tight! 3-5 thousandths. Carrier bearing preload still needs to be set/increased (I ran out of those shims too
sad.gif
)

d2enyfmctr0u8tbuj7py.jpg

kr09io80xihs3cz9xls.jpg

zecnlx9r12jw1ob5mk2f.jpg

267m29al7d5mugo9gcrv.jpg

Thanks!
Billy

EDIT: Resized. Sry.
happysad.gif

Looks good the pinion looks a bit deep though I might suggest to take 2 thousandths out of the pinion and re-run the pattern... otherwise it looks great...
themud

I tend to say it's a little deep too. The top of your pattern is curved and the bottom is a sharp flat line. Bringing the pinion out just a tad will even the pattern up and help bring it back to the center of the gear both in depth and in relation to the gear center line.

What kind of axle is this? Front or rear? Hi pinion, low pinion? That would help to determine which side is the drive and which side is the coast, since you didn't label your pictures.

In his last post the first was coast the second was drive. Look at your backlash. You said .004 before, way too tight. Shoot for .008. Pm with email- have some info that might help.

How much p depth did you take out? Might still not have been enough

What kind of axle is this? Front or rear? Hi pinion, low pinion? That would help to determine which side is the drive and which side is the coast, since you didn't label your pictures.

Sorry, it's a rear, low pinion Dana 60.

Backlash is at 8 thousandths now. I'll try reducing the pinion depth again (more) and see how it looks.

Thanks,
Billy

Back