• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Good resource for WMS dimensions of axles?

Mdub

NAXJA Forum User
Does anyone know of a good resource to find stock WMS to WMS measurements for stock axles?

First off I'm interested in an XJ Dana 30. From there I'm also interested in what a "full width" axle measures. Does that necessarily mean one width? :dunno: My guess is that it varies. I'd like to put a 44 out back and I'd actually like to go a little wider, so I was thinking about finding a little wider 44 and using spacers up front since my 30 has some $$ into it.

Anyway, anyone know where to find these measurements?

The width refers to the wheel mounting surface to the wheel mounting surface, aka WMS.
Full width refers to the width of axles out of a full size truck/van. You are correct they do vary quite a bit. Usually a full width is in the neighborhood of 67-69" WMS for front axles and 66-67" for the rear.
Stock XJ axles are 60.625" WMS, IIRC.

Last edited:
The width refers to the wheel mounting surface to the wheel mounting surface, aka WMS.
Full width refers to the width of axles out of a full size truck/van. You are correct they do vary quite a bit. Usually a full width is in the neighborhood of 66-67" WMS for front axles and 65-66" for the rear.
Stock XJ axles are 60.625" WMS, IIRC.

Excellent answer :worship:. I would still like to see a big collection, kind of like this?

http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/bible/index.html

Also, I wonder how flawed my logic would be, adding 2" spacers to the front. I run 35x13.50s on pretty serious rock trails. I worry mostly about the knuckles and ball joints. Are the knuckles susceptible to breakage once you increase that lever arm? What I mean, is does any have experience breaking a knuckle?

I think you'll be hard pressed to find a collection much more than you posted where it lists the various axles/manufactures/applications in chart. There is simply to many.

As for wheel spacers, I'm not a huge fan of them, but I'll probably end up being forced to run a small one on my rear D60 to bring the width out some to clear what I have going on back there.
Really, if you can, I'd run different wheels before I ever used spacers.
You are again correct you'll be more susceptible to breakages with the ball joints. As far as the knuckle goes, I seriously doubt it'll add all that much to the chances of breaking on. If you are going to break one, you're going to do it either way most likely. You will however wear out the unit bearings in the stock D30 much faster.

I'd probably not try and run a 2" spacer up front. It DRASTICALLY changes the way your wheels turn, and you'll find it tears your steering up faster.

Yup - very difficult to find a "total" listing. I've been looking (rather vigorously!) for a year or so, and I've given up and started to compile one myself for Swappology.

If you do some small looking, you can often find a listing for Ford 9" (and some 8") axles up to 1955-1975/1980 or so, and you can sometimes find some other truck listings, but that's about it.

NB: If you look up axle widths - particularly for rear axles - there are two dimensions of note:
1) WMS-WMS. As noted, this is the distance between the wheel mounting surfaces, inclusive of brake drums and the like. Not equal to "tread" or "track," but usually within a couple of inches.
2) Flange-Flange. This is the distance between housing flanges, and will be narrower than WMS-WMS. Very roughly speaking, you can get WMS-WMS for older axles (when you just have a flange-flange, or "F-F" listings) by adding in twice the width of the drum brakes. For instance, if an axle is listed as being 56" F-F, and you find it has 11"x2-1/2" brakes, you add 5" to the F-F to get 61" WMS-WMS. It's not exact, but it's pretty damned close.)

You will however wear out the unit bearings in the stock D30 much faster.

Oh yeah, I didn't mention that, because that is a certainty. But it's an easy fix and not too expensive.

Cal, have you run spacers? How exactly does it affect your steering and hose up your steering components faster?

I'd want to get wider, but I like my 30 because of the alloys, 30 splines, ARB, and custome steering and trackbar fab work that's been done so if I could use it, I'd like to.

so i want to get rid of my dana 30.

what can i put up front that is stronger and the same width (or close to the same 60 1/2 i think)?

what is it out of?

i have a 97 rodeo 44 for the rear.

so i want to get rid of my dana 30.

what can i put up front that is stronger and the same width (or close to the same 60 1/2 i think)?

what is it out of?

i have a 97 rodeo 44 for the rear.

Anything you want. You'll have to cut them down and get custom axles made.

The only thing 'bolt in' is the front axle of a TJ rubicon, and its not really an upgarde over your 30 - same steering/knuckles/brakes/tube/stubs, just bigger inner shafst and a low pinion 44 which in many opinions is weaker than a high pinion 30.

Anything you want. You'll have to cut them down and get custom axles made.

The only thing 'bolt in' is the front axle of a TJ rubicon, and its not really an upgarde over your 30 - same steering/knuckles/brakes/tube/stubs, just bigger inner shafst and a low pinion 44 which in many opinions is weaker than a high pinion 30.
thanks.
i dont wanna cut down axles and i dont want full width

lame....

thanks.
i dont wanna cut down axles and i dont want full width

lame....

How is that awnser lame????............... You asked and he replied with an awnser fitting someone who has yet to master the search feature here!!! :rolleyes:

Back