• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New Head Gasket Installed

98XJSport

Destiny is the rising sun
Well I got the new head gasket in my 98 4.0 this weekend and am hoping to fire it up this afternoon. Its a metal gasket, which I found as odd since I didnt pull a metal gasket off. But come to think of it there wasnt much gasket to pull off anyways.

First time I run it, should I heat the engine up without coolant or anything special to ensure its got a good seal? Never used a metal gasket that I know of on anything else, and I really dont want to do this job again.

Thanks.

You should just be able to run it. I guess if it were me, I'd run it up about halfway to temperature, let it cool off again to cold, then just run it until it warmed up all the way at idle. Turn it off again and let it cool all the way. I've never heard of anybody doing that before, but it just seems ?logical? to me. Then if it all works good, I'd change the coolant if I thought I got stuff in it cleaning off the old gasket. Good luck with the start and heat up!

Well I would be doing that right now, but I cant get the #@$%$ injectors to seal for the life of me. Ive got almost as much time in on them now as I do in the whole project. New origs, plenty of vaseline, no difference.

Ok working on this again on sunday. Damn work schedule.
Assuming I get the injectors to seal, should I throw a quart of oil in to make sure everthing is good in the new head, and to help flush things out before I change the oil?

Didnt touch them with anything more than mineral oil and a rag, didnt want to mark up the surface. For what its worth,the injectors seem to seat into the intake fine, its the rail thats been a problem. I havent been able to work on it, been working.

I was reading in my favorite book, the FSM, and just got curious if you are doing it per the FSM. I don't know if it matters, but they say to put the injectors into the rail first and secure the clips. Then push it all into the intake manifold at once.

I was reading in my favorite book, the FSM, and just got curious if you are doing it per the FSM. I don't know if it matters, but they say to put the injectors into the rail first and secure the clips. Then push it all into the intake manifold at once.

Don't know about the later model XJ, but on my Renix and numerous other vehicles you can push the injector further into the intake than where it needs to be, hence the rail first/intake second method. When replacing fuel injectors without pulling the rail I would set them in the intake first, then line up the rail with the tops and push down on the rail, then loosely put in the rail line bolts like finger tight. I then use a pry bar and raise the injectors into the rail until they are fully seated, and tighten the bolts.

Doing it rail first, then intake. Dont think I was getting them in far enough, so when I put the rail on the intake and started to tighten the bolts it rolls the rail slightly, unseating the oring. Thats what Im hoping anyways.

Did you put a new head on as well? Alabama? Reman? Quick question as to why you had to unseat the fuel rail at all. When I did my APN header on my '98 I just disconnected the fuel line QD and left all the injectors on the intake.

Mrtosh, you pulled the head to change the header? Not trying to criticize, just to learn the easiest ways. I know to leave the manifolds on when pulling the head, but didn't think it was worth it to pull the head to do the manifolds.

^^^^LOL. No. I stated in the previous post that when I pulled my intake/exhaust mani's on my '98 to install a APN header I left the fuel rail connected to the intake and just disconnected the fuel line quick disconnect.

Its the original head, been cleaned up of course. Be pretty tough to do a head gasket without pulling the head :D

Hmm, must've been some confusion in my first post. I know you pulled the head to do the gasket(common sense one would hope.lol), but you stated,"Assuming I get the injectors to seal, should I throw a quart of oil in to make sure everthing is good in the new head, and to help flush things out before I change the oil?" Soo I was under the impression you had put a "new" head on. My original question besides the new head or not was why you had to pull the injectors and rail from the intake?

Couldnt get the fuel line to seperate from the rail, so pulling the injectors was the next best thing.

Got everything to seat right today, still had one stubborn one but with enough messing around finally got it.

And it even runs :D Better than in over a year.

Hopefully last question for this project. Re-torque the bolts after a bit, or just leave things be?

Yup, and torqued it less than the rest.

Back