• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

CPS Bolts?

RockMonkey

NAXJA Forum User
I'm swapping an AW4 into an AX15 equipped XJ. The donor transmission did not come with a CPS, or the bolts that hold it in. The dealer can not get the bolts, or tell me anything about them. It looks like they might have a large shoulder, and smaller threads. Is that correct, or is it just a regular metric bolt? Can you tell me the size and thread pitch so I can just get some from a bolt supplier?

PM 5-90, he has been compiling a list of bolt and screw sizes.

They're all the same - pull them from your old transmission.

You are correct that they're a funky shoulder screw - the shoulders are to locate the CKP sensor. I've got to dig up a spare set I have around here somewhere so I can measure them out - I've been kicking around the idea of seeing if I can't get a few sets made (strength is not required, so it should be easily done) to have on hand for cases like this.

But, they're the same across transmissions, so just move your old ones over.

They're all the same - pull them from your old transmission.

You are correct that they're a funky shoulder screw - the shoulders are to locate the CKP sensor. I've got to dig up a spare set I have around here somewhere so I can measure them out - I've been kicking around the idea of seeing if I can't get a few sets made (strength is not required, so it should be easily done) to have on hand for cases like this.

But, they're the same across transmissions, so just move your old ones over.
I just ran out and checked the AX15. For some reason I thought it had a totally different CPS, with different bolts. I haven't pulled the bolts yet, but it looks like it is the same. Thanks! I guess I didn't need to buy this new CPS either. Oh well, good to have a spare.

I just ran out and checked the AX15. For some reason I thought it had a totally different CPS, with different bolts. I haven't pulled the bolts yet, but it looks like it is the same. Thanks! I guess I didn't need to buy this new CPS either. Oh well, good to have a spare.

Exactly. Same sensor, same screws. Doesn't matter the transmission (I believe the sensor is even the same between the 150ci I4 and 242ci I6, but I haven't checked.)

The only "real" problem is when you cross the 1990/1991 MY line - the sensors on each side of that line work on different principles, and are incompatible.

Back