• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Airbag Blew on my 98

go1lum

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 98. I reached in started up my jeep and the airbag blew off about 2 seconds later. I have not hit anything. Just the usual bumps from wheeling. Luckly I wasn't in my jeep. (Was standing in the door though getting ready to jump in) I rad a search and it seems that there are lots of problems with 1998's. I cut the damn airbag out and don't want to replace it. Should I go to a dealer and see if there was a recall on my year? Have any others had problems with this year?

I have a 98. I reached in started up my jeep and the airbag blew off about 2 seconds later. I have not hit anything. Just the usual bumps from wheeling. Luckly I wasn't in my jeep. (Was standing in the door though getting ready to jump in) I rad a search and it seems that there are lots of problems with 1998's. I cut the damn airbag out and don't want to replace it. Should I go to a dealer and see if there was a recall on my year? Have any others had problems with this year?

Nice! The problem is, you will have issues with inspection if your light is on. I replaced mine, not because I wanted one, but because I wanted it to pass inspection to license it in order to drive it on the road.

Nice! The problem is, you will have issues with inspection if your light is on. I replaced mine, not because I wanted one, but because I wanted it to pass inspection to license it in order to drive it on the road.

Remove the bulb from the cluster.

I've heard of shady body shops removing the spent airbag casing, stuffing newspaper into the void, putting a new pad cover on it, and removing the bulb.

That is assuming they don't check the codes.

I've heard of shady body shops removing the spent airbag casing, stuffing newspaper into the void, putting a new pad cover on it, and removing the bulb.

not always work that way!!!!!!!!

the inspection includes that when you turn the key on (not START) then you should see the air bag light and sevice engine soon light come on, if either of them dont come on, you dont pass!

and what happens when he sells the jeep in good working order, the buyer is in a collision and dies because a pile of newspaper falls into his lap.

would be a pretty cool lawsuit from his family and a nice burden to live with for the rest of your life, possibly behind bars.

this is all hypothetical of course

and what happens when he sells the jeep in good working order, the buyer is in a collision and dies because a pile of newspaper falls into his lap.

would be a pretty cool lawsuit from his family and a nice burden to live with for the rest of your life, possibly behind bars.

Agreed that this is all hypothetical. In my case, I don't ever expect to sell my XJ, and if I do. A working airbag is going to be very low on the new owner's list.

Well it obviously wasn't in good working order when it blew out for no reason so should the manufacturer have to replace it. If i had gotten hurt for no reason would they be liable?

Back