• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Whatcha Think

uvaldetxj

NAXJA Forum User
I'm thinking about getting this for my GF, but from what i've read so far I have a feeling it might be a cracked head or the head gasket. I did a search and now also think that it may just need a burp. I know it's better to go look at it in person, but it's kind of far and I want to know if it's worth my time first.

This is the description
"I am just tired of spending money to fix. i dont have the time or the money to fix it. it overheats even after just replacing the radiator and water pump and thermostat. a friend of mine who is a mechanic suggested that somewhere around the thermostat its leaking. because nothing is getting to the radiator. Also, i think there is a leak somewhere around the coolant reservoir. Anyway.. its a nice jeep. does have a few dents and dings. they were there when i bought the jeep. i paid 1500 and put over 1500 into fixing it with lil things. and i cant do it anymore."

"1989 XJ
4.0L
6cyl
4x4
100k+ miles. not sure on mileage.
$1200 OBO"

Thinking of an offer like $800-$1000

I've got a semi-complete 87 for parts, so i think this might be an okay buy.

$1200 is too much for a non-running XJ...especially an '89. Assuming it does need a new head, I wouldn't pay more than about $500-600 for it but that's just me. They may be priced differently where you live too.

yeah, that's waaaay too much.

I picked up a 98 in pristine shape with 170k miles, 4wd, auto, c8.25 rear, classic model so it has power everything. Paid $1,100.

Unless that one has some nice lift components or something, I wouldn't pay more than a few hundred bucks.

Paid $598 on eBay for a bone stock 123K 1990, 4.0L AX15 NP231, bad tires, missing wiper motor and arms, broken drivers seat and two burnt out low beams.

Back