• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Jeep Cranks but Won't Start

96xjeeper

NAXJA Forum User
OK so heres the story (I know I am a dumbass for this but it's done)

I have a 92 with the factory 4L in it and about 110,000 miles. Well It has run strong since I got it. I went wheeling yestarday and after a full day of wheeling I blasted through a pretty big water hole and it stalled. It didn't hydro lock but just stalled. I strapped it back to the trailer tried to start it and it started to kick over. I figured ok it's wet but not hydro locked good. I got it home sprayed a bit of WD40 in the distributer and a squirt of gas in the air box, brum it started up. It ran about 1/2 second then stalled. I cranked for a while and it wouldn't start. So I put some gas in a spray bottle and sprayed while cranking and it would run. So good spark but no fuel. I did the key code read and it gave me a 35, 41, and what I beileive to be 13 but it did 13 twice so I am unsure about that one. Also when I get it to run useing the spray bottle the fuel guage shows empty but if I just turn the key on it shows 3/4 tank (and I KNOW fuel is in it)

So any ideas what I should look for? I have not worked with it much yet so I have not looked an anything

YeaI checked wires all are in tact. I checked fuses allseels OK. I am at a loss. I need to decipher the codes and rplace a few parts then try

If it still runs while spraying gas into intake, you need to check for power to the fuel pump. But remember that the fuel pump only gets power while cranking and for 3 seconds in the run position unless the computer gets the running signal from the CKP (crank position sensor). If the CKP was bad, you would not have spark either. Be careful with that gas. I never forget the time the tip of my gas can caught fire while I was putting gas into a carburetor when it backfired. I survived and learned (of course I knew it was stupid when I did it too.)

Hallo. Did you check the ballast resistor?
The first few seconds the b.r.bypass relais is doing the job. :cool:
You can make a connection on the fuel pump relay with a jump wire. #30 and #87. Pump have to work.

'92 XJ

Last edited:
My jeep lives again and winterbeater you were right Ijust missed it the first time

Well a little history. Wheeling trip on the 28th. Wheeled all day pretty easy (or so I thought but I'll tell about htta later) well last trail was me and another XJ we ran trail 18 at Flat Nasty (one of there harder trails) All went well until my Dumbass light came on and I PLOWED through a water hole pretty fast and the jeep stalled. OK no biggy I figured it was flooded and when it dried up it would start. Well I did some WD 40 in the distributer and nothing. Trailered home and unloaded and tried again, still nothing. Got a spray bottle of gas and sprayed the intake fired up, stopped spraying and it dies, no fuel. Checked fuses checked wires check about everything nothing.

Well today I go over and decide to mess with it. First I clean all the vacume lines with brake cleaner, clean a bunch of electrical connections, removed the intake and cleaned. Still nothing. Well a buddy of Larry's came over for us to do some welding on his trailer. Well he is a mechanic so I talk him into looking at it. Well he doubles everything I checked and found no power to the fuel pump. Disconnected and reconnected the wires and had power. Still nothing. We work it a while and he say ok its a bad fuel pump and I concur. Well while we are looking at it to se how the fuel pump comes out I see a wire not connected to anything. Well we trace it and find the other end of the wire run a jumper and test it. We have fuel pressure. Make an attempt I turn the key and it fired!!!! So while I worked his trialer with Larry he soldered and shrink wrapped the new wire and I drove it down the road for a needed bath. She is good as new. Tomorrow I will go pick it up and put some air in the tires and will drive it for the nex week while the didge is getting fixed.

Back