• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dana 44 and Ford 9" ?'s

cemeyer

NAXJA Forum User
I'm sorry for the long post, I'm pretty new here, just got an 90 xj two weeks ago. I'm looking to turn it into a fairly decent trail rig(needed more seats with 3 kids). After looking at what a lot of you have done, I'm pretty sure I need to get rid of the vacuum disco dana 30 and upgrade the rear dana 35. I have a 77 f150 with the dana 44 and 9" combo(my old DD and all purpose rig, it went everywhere, 4wheeling, drag racing, truck pulls, has a 500hp 460) It has 4.10's in the axles and a Detroit in the rear. After looking at the prices for the stuff to upgrade what the jeep has now, I think it would be cheaper to use the Ford stuff. Who has the mounts for the front end etc.? Or do I adapt the Ford radius arm.(I think it would flex more with the radius arm set-up) My buddy has the jig to narrow the rear, so just need the axles shortened and resplined.

How much wider are they? I haven't measured yet. I guess full width would be okay. I'll check the tnt truss.:)

I have a HP44 out of a '77 F150, and I cut off 2.5 inches from both axle tubes when I narrowed it. I also have the TNT customs truss on it.

It wouldn't be bad if you kept the full width axles. If you are worried about it being too wide, then just get some rims with a good amount of backspacing.

go for it. but you need to make sure your wedges are weld on. not cast. if you are cast then you will have to reuse the stock radius arms(which i wouldnt suggest)

either go with the tnt truss or get the rubicon express bracket kit. after all that the front axle will bolt into the stock location. as for your 9" just weld up your relocated perches and shock mounts and voila!

even better get some chevy flat tops knuckles and go with a high steer setup

and keep the axles full width.
heres my buddys old xj with those same axles, using the RE bracket kit, with 8" coils and custom long arm using RE parts. sitting on 36" super swamper sx's
jamesjeepflex.jpg

Back