• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

only starts in neutral

96TNXJ

NAXJA Forum User
like it says it only starts in neutral. It wont start in park. Its a 96 XJ with abs (dont think it matters but just in case lol) Is it the neutral safety switch??

like it says it only starts in neutral. It wont start in park. Its a 96 XJ with abs (dont think it matters but just in case lol) Is it the neutral safety switch??

Yes it is. It can be taken apart and renewed/regreased which oftentimes restores functionality. SEARCH for information on that.

MAYBE.

As birchlakeXJ posted it is probably the NSS, and it should be cleaned and lubed with dielectric grease, but it could very well be the shift linkage needs adjusting.

I recommend you do both.

NSS mine does the same thing but my is not all the time. if you put it in neutral and then throw it into P mine starts in park. other than that i start it in N

Thanks for that link Joe! I just bought a 95 country with a "bad starter/seized engine" for $200 off of craigslist and determined it was the nss by running a ground to the starter relay, thus bypassing the nss. I'll take it apart and give it a good cleaning.

Dad refreshed the NSS(while I was yanking wheels and brakes). One of the springs was stuck in a compressed state. We plugged her in w/o mounting it and got the jeep to start and then he twisted it and the reverse lights came on. I've been wrenching on manual XJs all these years, so it was an interesting learning experience.

Hallo. I did the job too. But I was so unlucky to loose a tiny spring. LOL
I drilled a bigger hole and filed out the little copper contact. Then used a piece of coil from a ballpoint pen. It works perfect ! :dunce:

'92 XJ

Last edited:
Back