• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Experience with cheap eBay front hub assembly?

200 EACH!? holy smokes...

rockauto.com

Thanks for the link, but I am in Canada. The exchange / brokerage fees would kill me. $200 Canadian each is about $162 USD at today's exchange rate.

In most cases it isn't worth buying something from the US unless they ship it USPS. To give you an idea, the last time I bought something from the US, it was a $180 item, I paid about $40 for shipping, then an additional $93 dollars to FedEx for brokerage fees. This is pretty typical.

The link I posted is from one of the Canadian dealers on eBay.

check the amazon site for some timken ones... I saw them on there for cheaper then those ebay ones. And Timken is the only brand I'll buy for hub assembly's...

It is about an hour drive. I have had things shipped to Ogdensburg NY before and picked them up there. It is definitely a possibility. I just have to factor in about 3 hours out of my day, half a tank of gas, fee for the UPS store to hold my parcel, the bridge toll, duty, etc.

If no one chimes in and says "I have been using those hubs for 2 years with no problems", then I will go this route.

Thanks for all the responses so far.

Thanks for the link, but I am in Canada. The exchange / brokerage fees would kill me. $200 Canadian each is about $162 USD at today's exchange rate.

In most cases it isn't worth buying something from the US unless they ship it USPS. To give you an idea, the last time I bought something from the US, it was a $180 item, I paid about $40 for shipping, then an additional $93 dollars to FedEx for brokerage fees. This is pretty typical.

The link I posted is from one of the Canadian dealers on eBay.

A good example of Free trade policy hard at work!

It is about an hour drive. I have had things shipped to Ogdensburg NY before and picked them up there. It is definitely a possibility. I just have to factor in about 3 hours out of my day, half a tank of gas, fee for the UPS store to hold my parcel, the bridge toll, duty, etc.

If no one chimes in and says "I have been using those hubs for 2 years with no problems", then I will go this route.

Thanks for all the responses so far.

Just drive to NY and buy them there. I wouldn't trust any hub from ebay unless its a brand name in its box!

Come on guys, quit worring about brand names. Heck my G/F with air tools can change a hub bearing out in half an hour.

Yes I have used the ones off e-bay .. They last me about a year and then time to change them again.

I abuse the heck out of them ,mostly offroad wheeling with 35 tires.

Can't beat the price.
Nick

A good example of Free trade policy hard at work!

Mostly this is an example of the shipping companies gouging us. They pay the duty / taxes on the shipment as it passes the border. Then they mark up the amount they paid and pass it on the customer.

I think they also have a minimum they will charge. If I order something worth $1, you can bet UPS will charge me at least $40 (on top of the shipping charge).

Some good points have been raised. I wouldn't say I am abusive to my Jeep and I only run 30's. However, the roads get pretty lousy in the winter / spring. I am sure hitting pothole after pothole at 60mph isn't good for bearings. :) They are easy to change, so maybe buying the cheap ones would be a good experiment.

Are you still on the original OEM units?

Try calculating the real cost of the eBay units if you have to change them, say every two years versus a quality pair every X years?

I just changed the passenger side out 3 weeks ago from the original, that lasted me over 330,--- miles. The driver side is still tight [knock on wood]..

I have bought the eBay ones in the past to put on my spare shafts, but at the rate I was swaping spare shafts I am not sure which ones are the eBay ones and which are not...but all are still holding up. I must add that mine see very few road miles and mostly trail miles at his point.

Back