• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fuel Rail Mounting

98XJSport

Destiny is the rising sun
I have a 98 4.0 that I just did the head gasket on. During assembly I couldnt get my injectors to seal, so I had the fuel rail on and off several times. When I went to remove it the last time, I broke the second bolt in from the front off. Its too soft to twist with vice grips, so I was prepping to drill it and use a bolt extractor if I have one small enough.

Before I go out in the rain to do this, do all 4 bolts need to be used to hold the rail, or will it seal with 3? Or is that just asking for trouble as its obviously not a place where you want a fuel leak...

Thanks.

Can you drill and tap for a slightly larger bolt? Extract it and use a stud in it's place? There's not much torque on any of those bolts- I'm surprised one would snap.

I was, too. It snapped way to easily. I have an extractor, drill a hole in the center and it bites as you unscrew it.

I just dont want to run extension cords acrossed the parking lot if I dont have to :D

ive been running 3 bolts there for 6 plus months... you may have trouble finding people to tell you thats O.K....

BUT

the rule is not to mess around when it comes to fuel lines over a hot exhaust manifold.... obviously...

It's a soft bolt, so at least it'll drill and extract easily.
Three will obviously hold as XCM says, but I'd feel better
having all four in place.

Do you know anyone with a battery powered drill?
Be careful with extension cords in the rain.....

The mounting isn't very solid even with four, but I went ahead and fixed mine when I buggered the rear one up- I was already fighting a leak, and figured that would be a really bad place to cut a corner. Even if you can't extract it, looking at my old mani, it looks like there's enough metal there to drill a smaller hole and use another bolt or stud there, which would be an easier fix if you can't extract the bolt (although I think it should come out pretty easily). Don't know how crucial it really is though.

Current plan - I dont need another leak. So I will fix it. But not today. I got my hands on enough rebuilds kits so Im going to do all 6, and reassemble. If it doesnt leak now, it wont over the next week or 2 until the weather clears back up and I can fix it right.

Thans for the tips :cheers:

Back