• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

preping for 35's

squidd

NAXJA Forum User
Hey,

I am headed down the road to running 35's on my rig and would like some feedback on what I need to have to make this successful.

I am currently running 32's on 4.5" on the front and almost 6" of lift on the rear. I plan on bringing the front up to match.

I have a disk ford 8.8 in the rear and a locked D30 with ABS u-joints in the front. I am currently putting together the parts to run 4.88 gears in both.

I've done the ZJ tie rod swap. And my JCR front bumper has tie in brackets to the steering box.

I know I am going to have to trim some off the fenders but what else should I think about upgradeing?

Thanks.

That's about what I run.

Been going strong for three years or so. I say run it, and see what breaks. Then upgrade that.

A good track bar will be on that list. I love my RE XD.

Robert

but my rims and tires for $400. 37x12.50x17 BFG m/t (old style) on brand new crager soft 8's

I think the most important thing will be HD axle shafts as they will the one thing that will be under the most stress from those 35's. When you go up to 35's from 33's stock shafts just don't cut it on the trails, if you don't be ready to replace them when they explode in the middle of nowhere.

I'd definately make sure the tires clear even at 6". I'm going to have to bumpstop like a mother and after spending the dough on some 35" Toyos I better keep them outta my cut fenders LOL

A lot of people runthe set-up you're going for successfully. Just add bumpstops and ext. brake lines to your list if youdont have them already.

I'd definately make sure the tires clear even at 6". I'm going to have to bumpstop like a mother and after spending the dough on some 35" Toyos I better keep them outta my cut fenders LOL

A lot of people runthe set-up you're going for successfully. Just add bumpstops and ext. brake lines to your list if youdont have them already.

i had 36's with a 4.5" lift. with a 6" you wont have any problems if you do it right

I think the most important thing will be HD axle shafts as they will the one thing that will be under the most stress from those 35's. When you go up to 35's from 33's stock shafts just don't cut it on the trails, if you don't be ready to replace them when they explode in the middle of nowhere.

Well, everything depends on how you wheel.

I've been ready to change those exploding stock shafts for years.

As yet, I haven't had to.

I'm sure it's because I'm such a skillful driver. :eyes:

Robert

Yeah, I have a coworker who is selling me a set of 35" Marshals, with about 75% tread for $200. Never heard of Marshal before but I figured for the price it will let me work the kinks out before I drop the cash on a set of BFG KM2's.

I would say your on the right track and the 8.8 will be fine in the rear, I run a 29 spline 8.25 w/Yukon shafts and Detroit and have had no issues.

In the front I'm running a D-30 and a Aussie and so far so good. The front shafts are my biggest concern, if/when they explode then there goes the knuckle and or ball joints. To remedy this I just ordered a set of Longfields, the ring and pinion will be the next weak link. If the r/p goes, I can limp home by simply pulling the front DS and throwing in a set of stub shafts that I carry and stuff rags in the axle tubes and go. I don't think that will be a issue though.

Back