• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Roll on paint???

BPB

NAXJA Forum User
I have been reading about rollin on paint. I am planning on trying it on my subi. I am doing od green. I just bought a gallon of paint and a gallon of bondo. If it turns out well I will do it on my MJ. Has anyone tried this?

I tried the roll on, found that a cheap hvlp gun did a better job and the gun was only $20

I am not really liking it that much so far. It is evening out as it dries though. I have plenty of paint to spray it if I need to. Do you have to thin it to use it in a sprayer?

I helped paint a friends CJ flat tan Rustolium with rollers.
We used 3- and 6-inch foam heads, a very dry roller, and 2 or 3 coats
The trick is to keep the ends of the roller dry enough so they don't leave piles of paint at the edges of the stroke.
Scrambler.png

Don't have a close-up anywhere,

Eh that guy's looks alright. Here's some good ones, all done with rustoleum and rollers. What also help is thinning the paint out about 1:1 or 3:4 if it's too thin for your taste. Then do 6-7 super super light coats, letting each dry. The paint will go on very light, but dries fast so you can build up coats.

DSC02769.jpg

corvairpaint.jpg

4moslater1.jpg

polished2.jpg

1232672646492.jpg

8.jpg

That should be motivation enough :)

About every 6 months I start thinking about doing this. Then I get scared.

That Z is about what I want mine to look like.

Wow, now I want to do this too, but will wait till mine gets really bad first
I don't know, both the Charger and the Corvair look pretty good from the pics. I was thinking about getting a gun, but from the looks of the reflections off the hood on the Corvair, I might play with a roller and gloss paint, just to see what it looks like. (I knew those old beat up fenders were good fore something!)

Im in the process of doing this as we speak. The first few coats your gonna be wonderin how the heck it is ever gonna turn out good. Im on my 7th coat as we speak and its starting to look really nice...shiny and smooth. But be warned...there is LOTS of sanding involved. I started out with 400 grit the first two coats, 600 for the 4th and 5th, and 800 for everything thereafter till i get to 1500 on the final coat. I thinned the paint to about a 50/50 mix and like everyone says, just roll it on REALLY thin. Its actually not as hard as people make it out to be...and the good thing is if you f*ck up somethin, just sand out and repaint it. The whole process is VERY forgiving. Im a newb at painting other than with a spray can, and if I can do it...anyone can. I will work on borrowing a camera to post some picks...in the mean time, i say GO FOR IT!!!

First of all Eric:wstupid:, I hate you. Second of all it is a $100 car that I bought so that I could really build my jeep. It isn't that bad, however it isn't that good either. I can post more pics if people want them.
2-4.jpg

Bahahahahahah what a joke!!

-just kidding.

If I was in your position I wouldn't really care either. It's all one color, it prevents rust, and it's on a $100 car. Under those circumstances, looks great.

Back