• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

transmission oil pan stuck on like it's welded on!

95' heep

NAXJA Forum User
i believe it's stuck on very good by some gasket maker/RTV/sealer some sort was used to seal the oil pan on the transmission

i took all bolts out, including the filler tube mount.

i used hammer, screwdriver and no luck, i just put bolts back in as if i continue, the pan will be too damaged to be reuse id think.

any suggest/trick on getting it off? !!!1

good point dude il give it another shot eventually when i finish drain/fill/drain/fill the trans till the fluid stay clean/redish as i got it and the oil literally looks like old motor oil (BLACK/BROWN!!!!!!!)

yup-- thin, flat putty knife--

pick a side where you can slide it along the length of the pan, and tap it through the gasket with a mallet. Once it is through the gasket, slowly tap it toward the opposite end, cutting the gasket as you go. You are in for a PITA-of-a-time getting the old gasket off, but don't skimp on the cleanup-- it'll cost you in the long run! With the pan off, you can hammer the dents back out from the inside, but don't hammer too hard on any creases, they will become cracks if you beat 'em to death.

I have a 4" wide stiff-bladed putty knife I use for just this sort of job. I've ground the corners down slightly (just enough to round them off) so I don't gouge what I'm working on, and to let me use the corner to get the blade started.

Throw in my 1-1/2# baby brass hammer, and it's FM!

"FM" = F****** Magic

Back