• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Sway bars

Root Moose

NAXJA Forum User
Has anyone done any messing around with different diameter sway bars?

Did different years have different diameters?

Different donor vehicles?

All the stuff I have found most jeepspeeders are running the Currie antirock. I have been looking into another after market alternative but as of know no luck.

Do they bother with a rear bar?

every cherokee 4.0 front swaybar ive seen have been the same 26mm i think.

My 4 cylinder comanche has a significantly smaller diameter swaybar

maybe we'll get lucky, and someone with lots of coin, and good math skills will start messing around with the NASCAR stuff, it's waay cheaper, and they have some good stuff....

only difficulty would be finding the right rates

maybe we'll get lucky, and someone with lots of coin, and good math skills will start messing around with the NASCAR stuff, it's waay cheaper, and they have some good stuff....

only difficulty would be finding the right rates

Already there. :shhh:

I'll have more info/pics in a couple weeks.

Cool.

Are XJ sway bars made out of spring steel? If not it wouldn't be a big deal to bend up some tube I guess.

Yes, and properly heat treated. without doing so it won't return to shape.

Yeah, I was just wondering if the deflections of a OEM suspension were within the plastic or elastic range of the metal. If elastic then it wouldn't have to be spring steel. Thinking about it it'd have to be spring steel regardless because of fatigue anyway.

Yeah, I was just wondering if the deflections of a OEM suspension were within the plastic or elastic range of the metal. If elastic then it wouldn't have to be spring steel. Thinking about it it'd have to be spring steel regardless because of fatigue anyway.

Are you serious? :dunno:

Here are some options, if the ones that already exist and have been race-proven aren't to your liking.
http://www.1speedway.com/Swaybars.htm

Are you serious? :dunno:

Here are some options, if the ones that already exist and have been race-proven aren't to your liking.
http://www.1speedway.com/Swaybars.htm

damn it! you weren't supposed to post that! lol.

Anyways... here's the parts and prices of the parts I'm getting from them...

602-100-36.......................$92.83ea
613-1...............................$41.00ea (two required)
605A-100....................... $10.38ea
Labor for bending the arms $16.00

My garage:
1/2" heims....................... $40.00
Aluminum radius rods........$16.00
Steel cross tube................free

Rough total: $275

I no longer have the factory SB axle mounts due to my 1.5" DOM steering, so I was going to need something a little different than the Currie or TJ setup. It'll actually be a lot like XJEEPER's setup.

The $125 savings might not be worth it to everyone though. :cheers:

what ever you do, you should not run with out sways. im currently running no sways, and its really difficult to keep my jeep going straight. i should invest in the right size links really soon:rolleyes:

yeah i currently have no sways at all either its not too bad worst part is probably harder to stay straight on freeways... best part rounding corners going fast can be kinda fun hah.... just dont go too fast

Going fast and having a sway bar is honestly just common sense. Shock valving will slow the initial momentum of sway in a turn, but will not limit it properly like a sway bar.

If IFS front/solid rear, I would at least have one out back. Solid F/R I would want them up front and out back. This is due to the fact that a solid front under roll will steer the rig unlike IFS. The IFS will tend to need more rear sway bar to reduce understeer, while the solid F/R rig (especially short WB) will always tend to oversteer requiring the front bar.

Going fast and having a sway bar is honestly just common sense. Shock valving will slow the initial momentum of sway in a turn, but will not limit it properly like a sway bar.

If IFS front/solid rear, I would at least have one out back. Solid F/R I would want them up front and out back. This is due to the fact that a solid front under roll will steer the rig unlike IFS. The IFS will tend to need more rear sway bar to reduce understeer, while the solid F/R rig (especially short WB) will always tend to oversteer requiring the front bar.
I understand where you're coming from, and I certainly know the logistics of sway bars, suspension is something I'm very IN to for lack of a better term.

What I'm saying is that even now, without any sways, my Jeep is more stable than it was stock with sway bars and mushy springs and shocks. No I'm not saying it's ideal to run without sway bars, but it doesn't have to be the first thing on your priority list. Also, as for the oversteer, I LIKE the jeep to oversteer, and realistically anything offroad you'd be better off having it oversteer than under. When I throw a front bar on that's the only thing I'm worried about.

Back