• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Alternator

1985xjlaredo

NAXJA Forum User
OK so I got my new (lol) 1988 Xj And I think I need an alternator for it. Looks like it is impossible to change.
Should I go from the top or the bottom? I have read the stories about bigger ones not fitting.
Does anyone know what the stock case dimensions are? I have searched and havent seen a good how to on this yet.
Thx for the help.NAXJA

Just did mine from the bottom last weekend. Was a simple 1/2 hour job with a new belt as well.

I don't have a stock front crossmember anymore though so it might have made more room to work. Pull the electric fan and it makes getting to the tensioner much easier.

Concur.

Also, pull the airbox - which allows you a straighter shot to the adjuster screw. Be careful you don't crack the "knuckle" that rides on it - it's sintered metal... I'm working on a replacement - I need to prototype a couple of materials.

If you go to the hardware store, might I suggest you get a couple of extruded "U" nuts (the clip type) in 1/4"-20, and a couple of thumbscrews? That will make it LOADS easier to pull the E-fan, since you suddenly won't need tools anymore...

The alternator drops out the bottom past the antiroll bar - it takes a little finagling, but it's doable. Probably takes me all of a half-hour to change the alternator and belt on one of my RENIX rigs, so you shouldn't have any trouble.

5-90

I don't have a swaybar either. Guess mine was really easy :lol:

yeah i did mine from the bottom on my 90 a while back it was pretty easy to do, like 30 or 45 min. and i have a 100 amp alternator from Napa it fit fine.

Cool thx for the info that all i really needed to know

Back