• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

U-Joint/Yoke WTF???

YXwhenUcanFAB?

NAXJA Forum User
This is not rocket science, but im unable to find the answer i need.

My DD Cherokee ate the axle end rear driveshaft u-joint (8.25 rear). When the joint failed, it spit the caps out and took one of the u-joint centering tabs on the yoke with it. I bought new joints (spicer 5-785x, 1310 series sealed units) and a brand new yoke. Install was fine, joints fit the shaft beautifully. However, the new joints are about .125in too large to fit between the alignment tabs in the new yoke, and the old yoke.:flamemad:

The yokes (old and new) are NOT the 7260 Saginaw type with internal snap rings. They are the spicer type.

I checked every parts book for Chrysler and Dana, nothing, in any book matches the measurements I need for either the correct U joint or the correct yoke. Any input?

Same as old joints, i think that I may have not noticed this the last time and that is caused the failure. Its a 2000 XJ, last winter the ring and pinion gave up, so I swapped in a nother 8.25, out of a 96 XJ. Ive got all the correct#'s as far as i can tell. No disloged needle bearings ect. im stumped.

Is it possible one of the needle bearings in the cup came out on install and is making the joint to wide? Next measure the old yoke verses the new one. Same or different?

Are you sure you checked this really good? Those little needle bearings can really make your life miserable.

Are you sure you checked this really good? Those little needle bearings can really make your life miserable.

Yeah, i did. Even the old joints are too big. Im thinking that the yoke i got may be wrong, but there are only 2 listed for the 8.25, the 3in and the 2.75in. No difference in u joint in that style.

Im going to go look at the needle bearings again. Just to make sure, but that was the first thing i checked.

There should be no difference in the yokes, a 1310 U-joint yoke is a 1310 u-joint yoke. The u-joint mating surface is the same.

I also would double check the needle bearings. And you are sure that the caps are all the way in? The little tabs aren't bent?

There should be no difference in the yokes, a 1310 U-joint yoke is a 1310 u-joint yoke. The u-joint mating surface is the same.

I also would double check the needle bearings. And you are sure that the caps are all the way in? The little tabs aren't bent?

Im an idiot.....

I was just out in the garage, i took them apart and check the bearings, all where they are supposed to be. Then I put the caps on and noticed that they wernt seating all the way. I got the sealed spicers and with the tightness of the seals you have to squeez the caps with a big pair of channel locks to seat them. All the others seated because they were tapped into place. I should have thought of ths because you have to pull like a mo-fo the even get the caps off to get the joint in.

Thanks for all the help guys, i cant believe i made a rookie mistake like that. I feel like i just asked where to get a body lift for my XJ.

Thanks again.

XJ body lift? I wants me one o' them! LOL!

Glad it was an easy fix, and that you got it back together. These things happen from time to time.

Thanks for all the help guys, i cant believe i made a rookie mistake like that. I feel like i just asked where to get a body lift for my XJ.

Thanks again.
I used to work at an offroad beach a few years back, and there was this guy with a red 2 door, probably 3 inch lift or so, who came through every once and a while. I got talking with him one time, and he was saying he wanted to lift it a little more, but wasn't sure if he should do spacers, or get a body lift. I was like "Um, you do realize that you have a unibody, and can't do a body lift?" He was like what are you talking about, I didn't know that?

Back