• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What the diff.....Pun intended

Grunstad

NAXJA Forum User
Whats the differance from welding my spider gears in my Dana 30 or running a Aussie locker? I have ran a Aussie in my CJ and never felt it dissengage.....so why not just weld?:confused:

Yes.

You'll kill your tires, you'll have unpredictable handling at times and it'll be a genuine pain in the ass to park. Not to mention the added stress on your already weak-sauce D35 axles. So, unless it's STRICTLY a trail rig or something you don't care about at all... DON'T DO IT.

He said D30, not D35.

As far as welding vs. and Aussie. Welding there is absolutely no slip between the tires, there is no chance. This puts tons of strain on your axles and tires on the street. You need one tire to turn faster around corners. After I blew up my spider gears in my front D30 one time, I had to limp it back to where everyone parked. The spiders meshed together in a certain way so that they locked up, I drove off the street 3 times because I couldn't steer, and I was only going 15mph.

An Aussie should allow slip, it should be non-existent in 2wd as no torque is going to it. As to why you felt it didn't disengage, are you sure it was installed/function correctly? How are you sure it wasn't disengaging?

Whats the differance from welding my spider gears in my Dana 30 or running a Aussie locker? I have ran a Aussie in my CJ and never felt it dissengage.....so why not just weld?:confused:

First, a welded D30 just eliminates the fun of wheeling for you and all your friends because it will just break all the time. If I see someone with a welded D30, I go run another trail.

Welding makes it a spool, as you know. You will definitely feel it push and bind the steering even in 2wd, unless you have hubs or a disconnect in which case you'll feel nothing. As far as never feeling the locker disengage, this is a misconception. Actually, what you feel is the locker disengaging. You feel the locker engaging only one wheel, so you can feel the push created by power going to only one side, and sometimes you can feel a slight kick as the locker changes sides when you go around curves. The locker allows differentiation by disengaging the faster spinning tire, which is always the outside tire in a turn, so power is only going to the inside tire. On a curvy road it switches sides back and forth with every curve. It's more noticeable on a short wheelbase rig like a CJ, and it's more noticeable with a stick than with an automatic.

Some people say they like a spool better because they don't feel the locker working, but that's a false sense of what's going on because now they just can't feel their tires scrubing. An auto locker won't wear tires any faster than an open diff because it doesn't scrub around corners, it disengages around corners which is why it's called an automatic locker.

Get the Aussie. :)

Try driving around on the streets, to the store, to work in 4wd. It will be a pain to park and you will have to take some wide turns. It's not a good idea if you injoy driving your jeep all the time.

Lock it or leave it.......

Try driving around on the streets, to the store, to work in 4wd. It will be a pain to park and you will have to take some wide turns. It's not a good idea if you injoy driving your jeep all the time.

Lock it or leave it.......

And you be replacing your Tcase too.

Back