• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Changed it up a bit...

xjjeeper19

NAXJA Forum User
Well the more I think about, the more I want a "dual purpose" rig. So I decided some things needed to go, and some things need to change. Basically I downsized my plans. Lately I have spent alot of money on things I really didn't need, and I have not got to wheel this thing yet. I want something I can take out to Johnson Valley and mess around, and then head up to the mountains and roll around up there. I also like to drive this thing to and from work quite often.

First change was the the front shocks. I got rid of my 10in Kings, and went with some 12in Bilsteins 5150's( bought then from squirrel80). I gave up oil capacity and huge amounts of bling, but it does ride better and I gained travel.

Second on the list was my 241OR rubicon t-case. It wieghed alot, and had one hell of a low range, but with 4.88s it was real hard to stop in 4 low. So I built myself a polished 231J. I started with a 6 pinion planet, and a fat chain from a 231D. I then stuck a crown SYE on the back and it's ready to go. I had all the parts for this lying around, so the only out of pocket purchase was the SYE.

Another big extensive change is swapping in a 9in in place of the 8.8. I would normally not have a problem with the 8.8, but after I added up all the stuff I needed to fix on it, I figured i could build something slightly stronger. The bad: The tubes were never welded, the brackets were never ground smooth, I needed to change gear ratio's, it's too narrow, pinion angle is way off, and it would still be a c-clip axle. I could buy the super 88 kit that fixes the width and c-clip problem, but that well over 500 bucks just for that stuff, and it's just not worth it. I will be keeping the disc brakes off it to throw on the 9in.
So what I did was... I bought a new housing from quick performance, built to my specs, with moser axles, and .250 wall tubes. when it shows up in the next few days, I will shave the bottom to gain a little more clearence, and set the correct pinion angle. Then it will be time to assemble the Currie 9+ center section with a matching daytona nodular pinion support(thanks MikeL) and 4.56's. I'm still up in the air about throwing a back brace on the housing, but with .250 wall tubes I'm not that worried about it. Just need to call Dan at Ruff Stuff tomorrow and order a swap kit.

Only other items are regearing the turdy to match the rear, and then getting started on the JK 44 for the front.

I figure with this setup, I will still be able to go fast, just not as long or as elegantly as CrazyJim, but not be a full blown crawler either. I want to be able to go just about anywhere with it. I might even build a rear bumber with a tire carrier for it too...

I'll be sure to take some pictures... I know how you people like those things.

Justin

sounds like you're off to a good start Justin! nothing says fun like a dual purpose rig. why limit yourself to just crawling or just speeding?

keep us updated on the build, and you're right, we're all suckers for pics :D

sounds like you're off to a good start Justin! nothing says fun like a dual purpose rig. why limit yourself to just crawling or just speeding?

keep us updated on the build, and you're right, we're all suckers for pics :D

I bought that jeep back in august, and it hasn't seen dirt yet. I seem to spend more time building thins for everyone else, so now it's my turn. I just need to get out and wheel this thing.

Hope you don't mind the response, I assume you want it becuase you posted. :)

I don't get it. How have those changes made it a more dual purpose rig? If it can crawl and it can go fast in the desert it can work very well on the street and on the easy and moderate trails in the mountians. The Kings can be revalved, and pretty easily, if they're too stiff. A shock has nothing to do with dual purpose, in fact a good shock can make it more dual purpose. The 5150's are too soft for the front, like you said.

If you're going to crawl, and you mentioned Johnson Valley, you want the low gearing of the 241OR t-case. Hell, that low t-case gearing is great for the moderate trails as well, as you don't use the brake nearly as much because the gearing lets you cruise the trail with throttle input only. Same with the rear end gears, lower is better for the trails and 4.88 is a better street gear than 4.56's. For what you're spending on the 9" you could easily upgrade the 8.8 and have a slightly better pinion height.

To me, it doesn't look like dual purpose, it looks like down grade the overall capability. I doubt you'll be as happy for all of your efforts, but it looks like you've already done it. I've always figured that a well built XJ shouldn't compromise street handling and performance, and it doesn't need to, and can still be a great crawler and go fast rig. On my XJ, one of the design criteria was that I would never do any modification that decreased street performance, and I drove it many many times to JV, Moab, AZ, and CO to wheel.

There's no way in hell that I'd give up a Rocktrac for a 231, or King's for 5150's, or 4.88's for 4.56's, or an 8.8 for a 9"...............but that's just me. :D

Justin, I think it's great that you found some clarity of purpose on your rig. I really wanted to build a dual purpose rig myself but I am having serious money issues right now that limit me to what I can make in my garage with remnant and scrounged materials. For now I will focus on crawling ability as I cannot afford to break my rig too bad as it's a daily driver. I wish you the best of luck with your build and I can't wait to see pics :)

Back