• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

drilling spring perches

jsk2052

NAXJA Forum User
So the other night I was deep installing my new RE 3.5" leaf packs when I realized that the centering pin on nthe new leafs packs is too large for the hole on my 8.25. It's only a couple millimeters off but its enough to make a difference. I was wondering if you guys see any problem with drilling the spring perches slightly bigger so I can still use them. I'm pretty sure that they're 3.5" packs but they're made for the dana 35. Thanks for any help.

I wouldn't drill the perch. Take grinder and thin down the pin. Many pins can be punched out to make it easier. Mine was. I tapered the end then pounded it in for a secure mount.

If you ever need to change setups and drill out the perch, you may get something with the correct size then you need to fill the hole. Not good.

I have done both....

My first time I took some matterial center pin head. I put it in the trusty cordless drill and then walked over to the bench grinder.

Second time....I grabed the 1/2 inch drill and a 5/8 drill bit and punched a larger hole in the perch. If I change setups i will use the 3/8 center pins with the 5/8 head.

I am not sure that there is a pinch of $hit differance between the 2 choices other than do you have the tools to do one over the other.

or personal preferances...

I have never heard of anybody breaking a center pin on the trail either the 5/16 stock ones or the 3/8 ones for RE or the dak paks

fyi drilling perches is commmon practice as most leaf pins are really small, I prefer to drill out each leaf and replace with centerpin with a bigger black oxide cap screw and then drill the perch to fit. There is NOTHING wrong with drilling spring perches, grinding center pins is something I wouldn't do, personal preference I guess.

the install instructions for that leaf pack specify that you have to drill out the perch to 3/8" to fit the larger center pin....I had to refer back today b/c I am doing an axle swap.

drilling or grinding works what ever you are comfortable with and yes i have broken 5/16 and 3/8 pins running 38's with a spool in the rear and now run 7/16 center pins and all is ok now...:cheers:

jsk2052 said:
So the other night I was deep installing my new RE 3.5" leaf packs when I realized that the centering pin on nthe new leafs packs is too large for the hole on my 8.25. It's only a couple millimeters off but its enough to make a difference. I was wondering if you guys see any problem with drilling the spring perches slightly bigger so I can still use them. I'm pretty sure that they're 3.5" packs but they're made for the dana 35. Thanks for any help.

Drill out the perches. It's not a big deal and there is a reason that the RE kits come with a larger pin. RE knows what the stock perch hole diameter is and they want you to drill it out so you can use the larger (stronger) pin.

The only reason why you wouldn't drill out the perch would be if you want to put stock leafs back in some day. But, that would be crazy right?

wall04 said:
Drill out the perches. It's not a big deal and there is a reason that the RE kits come with a larger pin. RE knows what the stock perch hole diameter is and they want you to drill it out so you can use the larger (stronger) pin.

The only reason why you wouldn't drill out the perch would be if you want to put stock leafs back in some day. But, that would be crazy right?

Even if you do put them back... drop in the larger center pin.... No harm No Foul.

Yes... I did have a bitch of a time enlarging the hole in the stock springs to accept the larger pin.

Back