• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Should I be concerned / replace

mavrick

NAXJA Forum User
I had to cut off one of the bolts that holds the driveshaft to the yoke on the tranfer case side (frontshaft). In the process I actually grinded a nice little grove into the yoke. Could this be a structural issue? Should I replace? Is it an easy unbolt, slide off, slide back on and torque it down? Thanks

as long as you can get your new bolt in there it shouldn't be an issue.

My concern is that the groove I made is on the outside as in starting to cut through the yoke... Its not reall deep... I'm just a perfectionist... worrier and it kinda bugs me.

Well, when you tighten up the U bolt, it will tend to pull that little gouge, and it is at the thinnest part of the yoke. On the other hand, it is for the front driveshaft, so the load will usually be more split between front and rear as opposed to being only rear wheel drive sometimes. You could radius the cut so that the stress would not all be concentrated at one point. Flip a coin????????? Most likely OK. Are you going rock crawling? I think the question is whether you are comfortable about it. My guess is not, or you wouldn't have posted.

Well, when you tighten up the U bolt, it will tend to pull that little gouge, and it is at the thinnest part of the yoke. On the other hand, it is for the front driveshaft, so the load will usually be more split between front and rear as opposed to being only rear wheel drive sometimes. You could radius the cut so that the stress would not all be concentrated at one point. Flip a coin????????? Most likely OK. Are you going rock crawling? I think the question is whether you are comfortable about it. My guess is not, or you wouldn't have posted.

Thats just the thing I'm upset at the crappy job I did getting the bolt out and I like my stuff to be nice and clean and just know that it is like that irritates me even if it may not fail. I do offroad I havent done anything reall tough.... but yeah I'm replacing it ;) The local dealership just closed so does anyone know of a good place to purchase? I searched mopar america.com but came up empty.

:fuse::explosion

Lol...not really. It should be fine but replacing it would be very easy if you can grab one at a pull-a-part.

"FSM says front yoke has to be 90-130 ft lbs" these numbers sound right for the front yoke nut?

Last edited:
Back