• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New Goodyear Wrangler DuraTrac???

BruceB83

NAXJA Forum User
http://www.goodyeartires.com/goodye...odline=Wrangler DuraTrac&mrktarea=Light+Truck
http://www.trucktrend.com/features/...27_goodyear_wrangler_duratrac_tire/index.html

Just saw these on discount tires' website...anyone running them yet? I'm trying to figure out exactly what type of tire they are. Goodyear's website is very vague on description. They kind of look similar to the BFG KM2. The aggressive sidewall leads me to believe they are designed for offroad use...their A/T tires don't have that. It does say they perform well in the mud.

Any thoughts?

its the new MTR.

I've been looking at these myself. I think it'd be a good compromise between a mud and all-terrain. It's a $30 cheaper (31's) per tire than the MTR's (around here anways) but I wonder how long it'll last on a DD that see's a fair amount of trails.

I've been looking at these myself. I think it'd be a good compromise between a mud and all-terrain. It's a $30 cheaper (31's) per tire than the MTR's (around here anways) but I wonder how long it'll last on a DD that see's a fair amount of trails.

I'm wondering more about it's performance rather than mileage. Like I said, it appears similar to the KM2 so I wonder if it's performance will be similar. It's very possible it's Goodyears answer to the KM2...they don't have anything similar unless this is it.

I may have to be the guinea pig on this one.....

'Looks to me like Goodyear is trying to make a M/S suv tire that's a little quieter then the MTR for highway use.

yack. good4ayears, for the price, Interco/KM2/Kl71 would all be cheaper/grip better/last longer

I can't bring myself to buy any GY tire. Indy, Cart, Formula 1 (F1 quit Michellin too) all dumped them for their high failure rates. NASCAR drivers are scared of them for the same reasons.
I know our XJs will not put those kinds of stresses on tires, but a lot of race track tech ends up on the street. If your racing development has gotten you nothing but fired/dropped for safety concerns, I don't want it on my rig. Goodyear can't even keep their track tech on the track, nobody wants to run 'em.

I've heard good things about the GY SAs. It seems like the Dura-Trac were created for a construction site.

That seems like who they're advertising to.

If your looking for a A/T tire than performs better in mud/ snow than a BFG a/t. look into the kuhmo kl78, excellent tire. way more aggressive looking in person versus pictures of them.road noise same a a BFG A/t. wheeled all over this winter when we had snow and they performed way better than BFG a/t's.which i ran for many years on different 4x4's. give em a look!

Check out this DuraTrac - MT/R comparison from Goodyears website...

http://www.goodyeartires.com/goodye...:Light+Truck&tires=Wrangler+MT/R::Light+Truck

The DuraTrac is better in all catagories except "Off-Road Traction". The MT/R has a 10/10 and the DuraTrac has a 9/10. Interesting...

Keep in mind that it's the old MT/R in that comparison.

Goodyear Offroad Motorsports comped me a set while I was at KOH this year and I ran them on my trail rig for several days before the race and then took them home for some long term work in the PNW.

They work really well in the rock and on the drive home were quiet on the highway and worked well in rain. I've got about 1000 miles on a set of 33s and so far, so good.

The Duratrac is a very interesting tire and I would have tried them had I bought this set. I've had 5 sets of BFGs (3 MTs, 2 ATs) and was ready to try something with a stronger sidewall and fewer ply delaminations. That said, the BFGs were all long term 50k mile plus tires.

Photo by IXNAYXJ
027.jpg

Keep in mind that it's the old MT/R in that comparison.

Goodyear Offroad Motorsports comped me a set while I was at KOH this year and I ran them on my trail rig for several days before the race and then took them home for some long term work in the PNW.

They work really well in the rock and on the drive home were quiet on the highway and worked well in rain. I've got about 1000 miles on a set of 33s and so far, so good.

The Duratrac is a very interesting tire and I would have tried them had I bought this set. I've had 5 sets of BFGs (3 MTs, 2 ATs) and was ready to try something with a stronger sidewall and fewer ply delaminations. That said, the BFGs were all long term 50k mile plus tires.

Photo by IXNAYXJ
027.jpg

In your opinion how do these MTR's compare to the old style ones? Im looking for a new tire and these and the duratrac have caught my eye.

I was at the local Wal-Mart today and thought they had the DuraTrac's in stock but it was another new Goodyear tire that was called the Authority, it was an aggressive AT tire. Does anyone on here run either the DuraTrac's or the Authority's, they both look like very aggressive AT tires. I'm looking for a new set of AT's. I was going to get the BFG's but might try these any reviews?

Back