• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

8.25 choices....

Rmart30

NAXJA Forum User
Ive got a 93 Xj on 33's that doesnt get wheeled hard.
Running open front and rear with 3.55's.... planning on going 4.56 and lunchbox type lockers.
Since most of the lockers are for 29 spline axles, and mine is 27 I was going to upgrade to 29 spline.
Question is, should I buy a stock 29 spline rear end($200) and outfit it, and possibly sell the stocker to recoup some or, should I buy aftermarket 29 spline axles ($250ish) and install them in my existing housing?

Build an 8.8.

But if you want me to answer with one of those two options, I'd say buy the aftermarket 29 spline shafts. If all you're gaining either way is 29 spline shafts, then go for the stronger ones for $50 more.

Ive got a 93 Xj on 33's that doesnt get wheeled hard.
Running open front and rear with 3.55's.... planning on going 4.56 and lunchbox type lockers.
Since most of the lockers are for 29 spline axles, and mine is 27 I was going to upgrade to 29 spline.
Question is, should I buy a stock 29 spline rear end($200) and outfit it, and possibly sell the stocker to recoup some or, should I buy aftermarket 29 spline axles ($250ish) and install them in my existing housing?

I wheel the crap out of my locked 29 spline 8.25 with no issues on 35's, its a good axle.

You will need more than just shafts to do the 27-29 spline change. You will need a 29 spline carrier and spider/side gears.

I run Yukon shafts, got them cheap 5 years ago, $140 a pair. No breakage yet.

While the 8.25 is a great axle you can get an 8.8 for the same price and its way stronger from the factory! I would say go for it 31 spline 4.10s and disk brakes FTW!

You will need more than just shafts to do the 27-29 spline change. You will need a 29 spline carrier and spider/side gears.

Carrier I have to get anyway to go to the 4.56, also I thought the lockers did away with the spiders?

On the 8.8 posts. Only ones Ive found so far were 3.73's open. If I could find one for under $450 with 4.56's id get it.
With the bracket kit, gears locker etc at the low side its $500 more than sticking with the 8.25.

Carrier I have to get anyway to go to the 4.56, also I thought the lockers did away with the spiders?

On the 8.8 posts. Only ones Ive found so far were 3.73's open. If I could find one for under $450 with 4.56's id get it.
With the bracket kit, gears locker etc at the low side its $500 more than sticking with the 8.25.

I don't remember there being a carrier break for the 8.25:dunno: Maybe if it came with some really high gears under 3:1, but as I remember all the XJ carriers (3.07-1+) will work up to the new 4.88's

If your running a LB locker or full locker then your correct, you will not need the spiders/side gears

I don't remember there being a carrier break for the 8.25:dunno: Maybe if it came with some really high gears under 3:1, but as I remember all the XJ carriers (3.07-1+) will work up to the new 4.88's

If your running a LB locker or full locker then your correct, you will not need the spiders/side gears

From what ive seen they are advertising different carriers for 3.73's up.

New carrier, LB locker,aftermarket 29 splines, the only other thing I should have to change from my stock 27 should be axle bearings and seals.

Yikes. I just sold one MUCH cheaper than that...AND, I just picked one up with 4.10s, limited slip, and disc brakes with only 60k on it for 1/3 of that price. The 8.8 didn't come with 4.56 gears.

And what do you mean "bracket kit"? If you meant perches and shock mount, I spent $24. Bought a set of D44 perches (works on the 8.8 with very minimal grinding on the lower corner edge) for $20 and spend $4 on grade 8 bolts/hardware to weld to the tube. I have a total of $200 in my 8.8 and about 8 hours of time for 4.10s and limited slip.

Last edited:
The carrier break for the 8.25 is 2.71 and higher, so you're good. Don't waste your time with the 8.8.

The carrier break for the 8.25 is 2.71 and higher, so you're good. Don't waste your time with the 8.8.

How is upgrading to a better axle a waste of time? I like my 8.25 but if i get the chance its going under the Jeep i'm getting tonight and mine is getting an 8.8!

Back