• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

xj44 swap problem

xj_punk

NAXJA Forum User
so i swapped my 8.25 out for a 87 dana44 i got from the jy for $88 last night and now it stinkbugs pretty bad... i don't know what the deal is, i had like 1.5-2" of lift and it sat level before the swap and now it is noticeably higher in the back, i am confused! according to this writeup
http://www.cherokeeforum.com/showthread.php?t=8523 the 8.25 actually has larger tubes and it didn't look like the perches were any higher than the old axle as well. i was thinking maybe my driveline is too long and that is making it bind but i have seen people swap 44s into stock height xjs so i dunno. how much of the slipyoke should i be able to see at ride height?

i also put in new leaf spring bushings but the old ones were not really even worn so i don't think that could have caused it. everything really looks fine so that is why i don't get it and i need your help :worship:

btw its a 93 country 4dr, 1.5-2" of lift from a 1.5" shackle and a cut down main leaf added to the pack

thanks

thicker axle tubes....for the added lift in the rear

so i swapped my 8.25 out for a 87 dana44 i got from the jy for $88 last night and now it stinkbugs pretty bad... i don't know what the deal is, i had like 1.5-2" of lift and it sat level before the swap and now it is noticeably higher in the back, i am confused! according to this writeup
http://www.cherokeeforum.com/showthread.php?t=8523 the 8.25 actually has larger tubes and it didn't look like the perches were any higher than the old axle as well. i was thinking maybe my driveline is too long and that is making it bind but i have seen people swap 44s into stock height xjs so i dunno. how much of the slipyoke should i be able to see at ride height?

i also put in new leaf spring bushings but the old ones were not really even worn so i don't think that could have caused it. everything really looks fine so that is why i don't get it and i need your help :worship:

btw its a 93 country 4dr, 1.5-2" of lift from a 1.5" shackle and a cut down main leaf added to the pack

thanks

Did you torque the leaf spring bolts down while it was jacked up in the air?

Maybe loosen the leaf and shackle bolts while its sitting on the ground and bounce up and down on it a couple of times. Then retorque everything to spec.

the axle tubes are actually supposed to be smaller on a 44 than a chryco according to the thread i linked to above. i didn't compare them side to side before the install so i can't clarify on that. the perches looked like they were the same height as well...

i never actually took the shackles off so that can't be it but i will loosen the other bolts just for the heck of it. i wish it was that simple...

Irrc 8.25 = 3''
d44 = 2.75"

Axle tube thickness

Loosen every bolt on the rear end 1 full turn.

Bounce up and down on the rear bumper hard.

Retorque them all.

Take if off of the jackstands..............JK....did you replace the shocks or are the shock mounts in the same place?

XJ, I am building a 44 rear and i was told that the 8.25 driveline is actually longer by about an 1 1/2". I think the reason is the u joint attachments are longer. (don't know the technical term). I was told a good driveline shop would be able to shorten the stock one on there now and rebalance it. Hope this helps.

You shouldn't need to shorten the driveshaft unless you're still at stock height. The extra length should make up for the lift.

I recently swapped in a D44 to replace the 8.25 on my 5spd, '98. I do have a RE Hack & Tap installed. It turned out that my driveshaft length was fine with this swap. The distance between the H&T flange and the center of the pinion yoke of the D44 was within a 1/4" from the 8.25 setup....

yeah last night i loosened all the bolts and jumped on the back and tightened them again and it did go down some for sure, but it still looks higher than before. upon looking at the driveshaft again it looks like it still has room to go in on the slipyoke so i don't think that is the problem.

when it comes right down to it, my jeep is a bit higher in the rear than the front... but big deal it will probably break in some anyways

Back