• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Renix to H.O. T.P.S adaptation

Mr. mud

NAXJA Forum User
Here's the deal, i have an 87 cherokee, 4.0, aw4, 231, w/ 8.25 that I swapped in. At 285,xxx miles my motor is getting tired and i bought a 1999 4.0 with 45,ooo miles on it for $75. I have everything adapted to make it run correctly with the '99 head , intake, and exhaust manifold. The only issue I'm facing is how to adadt my renix tps to my H.O. throttle body:confused:. I would greatly appreciate it if some of you guys could post up some detailed pics and/ or commentary on how those of you who have done this conversion did it. And parts availability is no problem, i work at a Chrysler dealership:yelclap:. Thanks guys.

real simple-make a home made map adjuster,which is just really an adjustable voltage regulator-can be made for around $12-$15 from radio shack parts.Slot the ho tps to be adjustable - use a 7 volt refernce or so from your home made map adjuster-I have done this sucessfully-The ho tps and renix tps move in a difference sweep -and does not have the same output reading.But I have it in a 5spd manual trans equiped xj-the auto one uses an opposite voltage reading for the trans ecu.If yours is auto-go the hesco route.sorry just saw the "aw4 auto" in your post..........

I drilled a and tapped a small hole in the flat end of the shaft that moves the throttle plate. I put a screw in this hole. I drilled and tapped another hole in the tps arm, and put a small screw in there, this allows for adjustment. The tps is mounted with longer screws and spacers to push it away from the tb. the screw in the throttle shaft interfaces with the screw in the tps, moving the tps with the throttle. It's easy to figure out if you look at it.

Good to know, cause I don't really want to send people H's way unless it's the only way or they like to spend freely.

I drilled a and tapped a small hole in the flat end of the shaft that moves the throttle plate. I put a screw in this hole. I drilled and tapped another hole in the tps arm, and put a small screw in there, this allows for adjustment. The tps is mounted with longer screws and spacers to push it away from the tb. the screw in the throttle shaft interfaces with the screw in the tps, moving the tps with the throttle. It's easy to figure out if you look at it.

some pics of this set up would be wonderful. im going to be doing the same swap in the next few months and the info would be nice!

tps3482.jpg

Ok, so the screw in the TPS arm is a large headed allen set screw. On the screw in the shaft, I JB welded a piece of metal. don't remember why I did this, probably to smooth it out and get the adjustment right. For the spacers I used pieces of 1/2" pipe, ground for clearance. TPS adjustment is done by turning the set screw in the TPS arm. Also, remember to paint your intake manifold purple, or the mod will not work!

Lol,wish I could do that. It would make for a whole lot less parts mixing and matching.:wow: But as long as I remember to paint the throttle body purple I guess I'll be ok:cool:.

Back