• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rear hatch trouble

I have a 1994 XJ. Over the winter My rear hatch decided not to open anymore. The pull handle is broken off and the lock is not working now. Any ideas of how to open it so I can fix it?
thanks.

I think you need to figure out if it's frozen locked or frozen open. Frozen open just means you need to put some arse into it. Use a pry bar and lift it. Mine got stuck up in the snow in NC one night. I don't know what to tell you if it's frozen locked...

you should be able to access the striker bolt mounts from under the vehicle directly where the latch meets the striker. Unbolt them and the hatch will open, Pull the interior trim and assess the problem.

you should be able to access the striker bolt mounts from under the vehicle directly where the latch meets the striker. Unbolt them and the hatch will open, Pull the interior trim and assess the problem.
X2,thats the only way in without ruining some panels!

Pull the inside hatch panel. The lock mechanism is located over the sill in the hatch. Prying on the fiberglass hatch is probably a great way to replace the whole thing.

Once the panel is off, you can see the mechanism that holds the latch lock closed and pop it open to release it from the striker bolt. You'll also see what's going on why it won't operate - cylinder frozen, broken tabs, missing parts, debris jammed in the striker, etc.

There's also the chance the hatch is dropped and jammed in place. Pushing it open with your feet will be easier inside that tugging on a small finger pull.

Back