• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

HELP!!! front wheels locking up

curbdog17

NAXJA Forum User
I just installed a new front axle in my 1998 xj the axle is from a 99. i reinstalled the aussie locker from the 98 axle. with the wheels off the driveshaft turns and so do the hubs. when i tighten down the lug nuts with the tires on the front axle locks up. if i only tighten one side then only that side locks up and the other spins. What did i do wrong?
PLEASE HELP ME.

What do you mean by "the front axle locks up"? Like, it won't spin?

AFAIK, the driveshaft will spin because of the type of system. That part is normal.

So, if you leave the wheels off, and tighten down a couple of lug nuts, does it still lock up? Any chance the wheels contact the rotors?

When i tighten the rotor to the hub with out the wheel on the axle still locks up.

Read it again, look at the pictures, measure your junk. The rotor will bind on the hub, no tires or rims needed.
Thanks alot Tim i just got back from autozone and the rotors are on now and the wheels are turning.
THANKS TO EVERY ONE!!!

Back