• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Homemade Snorkel

CherokeeCrawler88

NAXJA Forum User
Ok i have a 92 Cherokee 4.0L H.O. with AW4 and im wanting to modify my own snorkel want it to come out on the roof with a k&n filter. Any suggestions of how to start starting from the throttle body out?

See the "similar threads" at the bottom of this page.

ha ha...you see the little box that says "Posting Rules" and then right below that theres a box that goes all the way across the scree that says "Similar Threads"? Click on the writeups in that box for ideas.

just dont put the filter on the end of the tube, it looks ridiculous. :cheers:
Like this??

P2250003.jpg

:viking:

To the OP: I just coupled 3" PVC to the rubber tube that comes from the throttle body and ran it outside the fender and up the A pillar.

Personally I like the Cut a hole in the hood and run it staight up vertically. Toss the biggest cone filter you can find on the end and run a couple bailing wire supports down to the hood corners. :looney: Just kidding. My safari uses a 90 out of the bottom half of the airbox and a big rubber "dryer" hose type tube from there

Toss the biggest cone filter you can find on the end and run a couple bailing wire supports down to the hood corners. :looney:
Ooh! I know what I'm doing this weekend!:repair: I think I'll make the radius of the hole about 1 1/2" longer than the filter. That way I'll have lower under hood temps, and the rain will help keep my engine clean!:gee:

I am looking at building a snorkel or raised air intake later this year. I run a Turbo Diesel so there is only one company who make'm and they are bloody expensive. I built a couple over the years for other makes, so here are few tips.
How often are you going to be going through water? They look cool, but if you are only doin the occasional river crossing there are alternatives.
Your set up needs to be tough, so I would not have a filter on top, it would kill any ram effect. You can have a dust unit or precleaner though, this works by spinning the air as it comes in the heavy particles going in to a collecting bowl, removable, this reduces the ram but you get cleaner air.
If you go for a standard set up, you can used a sealed K&N type fiter like the Pipercross setup, or like Marcus's filter and build a buy a safari top off Ebay :spin1: to put on your raised air intake.
Do not forget the intake is not the only thing you will need to extend, all air breathers need to go up too, no good if the engine works and the tranny don't...............
Let us know how you get on

I've never really understood the snorkel above the roof approach, nor been a fan of them at all. But with a wet climate and no inner fenders it would kill filters in 1/2 an hour then sputter and miss all day so I nade this for my S10, I'll probably do something a little similar for my rokee
003.jpg

004.jpg

006.jpg

in this last pic you can see the finished product. I used a 90* and cut a funky lookin almost OCC style exhaust flare into it, looks ok and serves its purpose
002.jpg

Just a quick follow up to Redders post, if you missed the link "alternatives" in my previous post; it is MadXj's Cherokee based on not having a pipe "snorkel". The idea behind the snorkel is to ensure no chance of water getting in, and cleaner air, less dust, being above bonnet height. If the waters that deep, you got problems any way, water pressure on the vehicle, flotation, etc,etc. Dust is less of an issue now due to vast improvements in filtres.

As regard engine heat if you follow the link to Marcus's site you will see and I think on this forum, and others including AusJeepOffroad.com, articles about bonnet vents and removing hood lining to keep the heat down. The XJs engine bay is a notted for being er compact............

MADXJ
http://www.madxj.com/MADXJ/technical/technicalfiles/JJcustomSnorkle/CustomSnorkle.htm
MARCUS
http://go.jeep-xj.info/index.htm
AUSJEEP
http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/vbindex.php

NAXJA Bonnet vents
http://www.naxja.org/forum/search.php?searchid=2886803

Jeeps are built though some times we got to read the manual first.......

Last edited:
i like the design where its ran straight off the throttle body out the fender up the a pillar with a cone filter on top but my question is if it started raining when i was driving it home from the trail would the filter suck in water from being rained on i mean it would have the same effect even if you used stock air-box with snorkel with filter in the box but what keep the snorkel from sucking in water while raining or such?

Back