• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

steering box choices? AGR, PSC & durango

emr1101

NAXJA Forum User
How would you guys running aftermarket boxes compare the PSC, AGR and durango boxes? The psc and agrs are in the $350+ range, but the durango boxes (A1 cardone, rebuilt) can be had for like $180 when you pay the $100 core fee (use your stock box? might have better luck pulling that off if you go to autozone). Would i be better off running a PSC or AGR unit? I plan on runnig 37" tires max, but most certainly dont want to be replacing this steering box ever. (my jeeps stock box lasted about 30k lifted and is not shot from 32" tires...)

If you are going up to 37" tires I highly recommend leaving the stock steering box and get a ram assist system. The force applied to the frame with that big of tires will tear it out if not heavily reinforced. A rock ram system will give you all the power you need without tearing up the frame.

If you are going up to 37" tires I highly recommend leaving the stock steering box and get a ram assist system. The force applied to the frame with that big of tires will tear it out if not heavily reinforced. A rock ram system will give you all the power you need without tearing up the frame.

How many guys are ruinning a ram assist on a D30? I personally wouldn't spend the money for any of the aftermarket boxes. PSC is rebuilt crap and AGR box doesnt work any better than my YJ box did. AND the AGR box leaked because they stamped the AGR too deap into the steel causing it leak from the letters :doh:.

How many guys are ruinning a ram assist on a D30? I personally wouldn't spend the money for any of the aftermarket boxes. PSC is rebuilt crap and AGR box doesnt work any better than my YJ box did. AND the AGR box leaked because they stamped the AGR too deap into the steel causing it leak from the letters :doh:.

how many people are running 37's on a D30?

I second doing hydro assist. One of the best mods I ever did to my jeep.

I'm running a new YJ box and a new oem WJ V8 pump (01-04'), braced and c-rok'd. So far so good!

Do the YJ box and WJ pump bolt straight up?

The YJ box will bolt right up to the XJ frame, but you can't use the 4th mounting bolt without the TnT/Treks conversion plates. I suppose you could fab up your own as well. You also have to drill a hole in the framerail for the 4th bolt.

The WJ pump will bolt in to certain XJs. 97+ *should* drop right in. My 01 went in no problem. This guy with a 95 had slight issues, but worked it out.
http://naxja.org/forum/showpost.php?p=244260137&postcount=40

The whole WJ pump thread is here: http://naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=946090&highlight=steering+brace

There are two Saginaw steering boxes, the 800 and 808. One is slightly bigger than the other, don't remember which is which. The YJ and the XJ are the same, the smaller box, and some other vehicles (probably like the Durango) are the bigger box. AGR and the other places that sell and rebuild boxes sell both versions. Some folks have very good experience with a well built high performance pump and the bigger box. Most places recommend using the smaller box with hydro assist steering because it will be a little quicker and you don't need the extra power from the bigger box. Every place that sells performance built/rebuilt boxes sells them with and without the ports for assist, in case you want to leave that option open for later.

One of the things that wears out on a steering box when wheeled regularly with bigger tires is the bushing around the sector shaft. One of the basic upgrades on a performance built box is replacing that bushing with a bearing. You won't get the bearing in any stock box. Also, the clearances are checked in the performance box, and each company has it's own modifications that are done for performance and durability.

One of the hard things to work through when getting word of mouth on various PS steering companies is that nothing is absolutely perfect, it's always possible to get a bad product now and then, so it's important to hear how they stand behind their product. I use Tommy Lee, Lee Mfg, and have never had a problem. Tons of people use PSC and they have great products, and when there is the occasional problem they really stand behind the product and get it resolved. I know plenty of people who have had great success with AGR, and I've heard of some problems.

One of the issues when hearing about PS problems, and problems with product, is that many times a worn our component (box or especially pump) contaminates the system and that contamination takes out the new product, which the company gets blamed for. We've come to accept that in cases where there are ongoing problems, all components need to be changed to eliminate the contamination.

yeah I thiught about doing a ram assist, but i figured it would just be a little too much extra right now, an agr/psc might even be over kill. most likely ill do the 99 durango box and call it a day. I have a TNT rock runner bumper that has a built in outer steering box brace - will this give me problems?

There are two Saginaw steering boxes, the 800 and 808. One is slightly bigger than the other, don't remember which is which. The YJ and the XJ are the same, the smaller box, and some other vehicles (probably like the Durango) are the bigger box. AGR and the other places that sell and rebuild boxes sell both versions. Some folks have very good experience with a well built high performance pump and the bigger box. Most places recommend using the smaller box with hydro assist steering because it will be a little quicker and you don't need the extra power from the bigger box. Every place that sells performance built/rebuilt boxes sells them with and without the ports for assist, in case you want to leave that option open for later.

One of the things that wears out on a steering box when wheeled regularly with bigger tires is the bushing around the sector shaft. One of the basic upgrades on a performance built box is replacing that bushing with a bearing. You won't get the bearing in any stock box. Also, the clearances are checked in the performance box, and each company has it's own modifications that are done for performance and durability.

One of the hard things to work through when getting word of mouth on various PS steering companies is that nothing is absolutely perfect, it's always possible to get a bad product now and then, so it's important to hear how they stand behind their product. I use Tommy Lee, Lee Mfg, and have never had a problem. Tons of people use PSC and they have great products, and when there is the occasional problem they really stand behind the product and get it resolved. I know plenty of people who have had great success with AGR, and I've heard of some problems.

One of the issues when hearing about PS problems, and problems with product, is that many times a worn our component (box or especially pump) contaminates the system and that contamination takes out the new product, which the company gets blamed for. We've come to accept that in cases where there are ongoing problems, all components need to be changed to eliminate the contamination.

Well said:yelclap:

You MUST reinforce the frame around the steering box. That is basic XJ/MJ modifying 101. Also, most improvement in steering performance comes from a better, higher pressure pump.

so are you saying the XJ and YJ boxes are the same? when I researched the YJ box I got that it has a 3:1 fixed ratio not a variable ratio like the XJ making it easier to turn in lower RPMs but less highway friendly

so are you saying the XJ and YJ boxes are the same? when I researched the YJ box I got that it has a 3:1 fixed ratio not a variable ratio like the XJ making it easier to turn in lower RPMs but less highway friendly

Could be. I'm not at all an expert on knowing which box comes in which vehicle. I know there are two boxes, the 800 and 808, one had a slightly bigger bore. Also, there are 3 hole and 4 hole versions of the same box.

AT 3 to 1 I find it hard to say the box is not highway friendly. Except on maybe the YJ and other SUV/cars with a very short wheelbase. But Jeep puts it on them so it can't be that bad to over steer. Plus on the longer XJ it should be no thing at all.
The after market people/rebuilders may be selling you the same box for both the YJ and the XJ but they are different from the factory. This (one part fits all) is common practice with third party parts and often leads to confusion as it may be doing here.
(IMO) the 4 bolt box is not needed if the rail/box is braced on the back side of the rail from the box. The stock spacer between the box and rail is fine. The web cracking of this spacer is of no importance. It's a spacer not a brace and once the rail is braced (like above) the spacer will not crack or crush anyway, The crushing comes from the bolts pulling part way through. Then the somewhat louse box being pounded onto the spacer crushes it. Keep the box/bolts tight and MANY of it's problem go away.
I myself use 3 fender washer (very thin ones) per bolt to prevent pull through. With small tires (31 max) and light duty offing. It's all that is needed. (IMO)

I have the TNT 4 bolt steering box inner and outer brace set up I am getting ready to install in a week. What steering box should I get for it?

Back