• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Check Engine code

99_XJ_

NAXJA Forum User
Driving around town today (99 XJ 4.0) with the gear shift in 3 (auto). I slowed to a stop light and it kinda kicked a bit on the downshift. Then I notice my Check engine light is on. So i take it to autozone and have them hook it up to the PC code reader thingy. It came back P0705. The Code translated to a malfunctioning Transmission Range Sensor. No idea what that is and i cant buy it at autozone. He told me I will have to take it to a chrysler dealer to have it repalced.

What is a Transmission Range Sensor? What does it do? It dosent seem to drive any diffrent at all. Is this safe to drive on for the short term? No Idea what to do.

That would be your switch assembly on the bottom end of your shifter, also known as your NSS or neutral safety switch. It tells the transmission control module what gear you have manually selected.

So a NSS is the same as the transmission range sensor?

So a NSS is the same as the transmission range sensor?

Yes. It is located on the transmission. Search NAXJA or use Google, there are a number of write-ups on how to clean the Cherokee NSS.

I'm experiencing tha same thing I believe. I drive my '01 around town in 3rd because of the stock gearing and 33's. Its only done this twice but when slowing to a stop it acts as though it is being manually shifted and "jerks" and the revs go up and it will engine brake for a fraction of a second and then all is well. Never has any issues upshifting or downshifting under throttle. No code is being thrown. Is this the NSS acting up? Maybe the TPS?

I can't say if it does it in 4th as since i've owned this xj(a month) i've never been able to use 4th in town. I can say that my reverse lights work great and it starts in park or neutral just fine..

Back