• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Drivetrain issues after changing lifts

GTABurnout

NAXJA Forum User
This weekend I removed my 3 inch Procomp lift and installed a 3" OldMan EMU lift. The Procomp lift had some sag in it so the jeep did gain about a inch or two of actual lift. I am pretty sure I will now need a SYE sine I do get some vibs from the drive line under accel.

Now the odd question. Drove the truck abour 75 miles with no problems. Today on the way to work while letting the truck slow down with out the brakes I heard a grinding vibration noise. It only happened at around 5mph and only random. I guess I was wondering could the u joinjts go bad that fast with only a 3 inch lift? Is there anything I should look for?

I will take a picture of my drive line tonoihgt and post it up but I am now to this stuff so any advice would help. Thanks

The ujoint could have been worn before, and changing the lift changed the angle it rides out, moving out of its 'worn in' grooves.

Which would make it suddenly feel bad, yes.

Makes sense. No I guess I need to decide how quickly I can get the SYE done so I don't have to change ujoints in a drive shaft thats no longer going tbe used...

Drive line picture can any one letll me if my pinion angle is off? Thanks

DSCN1147.jpg

DSCN1148.jpg

DSCN11483.gif

This shows an approximation of the two angles. This would technically be off by just a bit. Some times almost doesn't cut it. See if someone on the boards will post with their experience, this might be just fine. It might be enough to do damage though.

Last edited:
Your pinion should be parallel to the t-case. You only want to point the pinion at the t-case when using a CV shaft.

Back