• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

building my own tie rod??

90xjDave

NAXJA Forum User
searching yielded no results, so I'm hoping some of you can help me out.

I've bent my stock tie rod enough to justify building my own.
I'm thinking of .150 dom tubing. Thick enough???

Should I tap it for threads or weld a nut on the ends?
What size tie rod ends are you guys using? Part numbers???

I'm also thinking of fabbing some kind of hydro-assist steering so I want to build something that would hold up to the hydro-assist.

any tips or heads up for me???

tia!!

have you considered having the knuckels honed and bored out to accept fullsize chevy tierod ends? just a thought, but i dont know very much about it...

BigWes said:
have you considered having the knuckels honed and bored out to accept fullsize chevy tierod ends? just a thought, but i dont know very much about it...

I have thought about it. I think I would end up having to fab both a tie rod and drag link and I would have to relocate the track bar mount on the axle end. Not sure about the steering dampener. Just seems like an awful lot of work for a beefier tie rod.
anyone want to weigh in on this?

after a lot of researching on this, I ended up going with the currie hd steering system. Got it through ebay for $375 shipped.
I'll be adding a hydro steer soon so I wanted a beefier drag link and tie rod. I'll update as I go along

Back