• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

m.o.r.e. engine mounts

jeeper98xj

NAXJA Forum User
so installed the more boom proof mounts and now my xj has crazy vibs at red lights did the tranny mount as well....question is is this normal or what.
dan

some say it calms down after it breaks in, however mine didnt go away 100 percent, but then again i wouldnt call them CRAZY vibes... just slightly annoying... you could allways learn to drop it into N at stop lights, like some of us do =)

the 'point' is to control engine movement.... and to replace a poorly designed oem application.... the m.o.r.e.'s do both well... but they have their own minor side effect....

there was a post a couple weeks back about a guy who replaced his radiator twice after his mech fan took a bite out of it...

have you ever driven fast desert style? stock mounts last about a single weekend driving hard. why subscribe to the insanity?

the pro's definately outweigh the cons....

also, 2-peice, failed oem mounts dont cause 'vibrations'.... its no VIBRATION, its your engine floating around in the engine compartment.... dangling off your tranny mount...

When one of my original worn motor mounts finally gave out on me, the vibration cause the other one to go out and then my engine (actually whole drivetrain) moved forward, sending my fan into the radiator. I was on a trail in the middle of Uwharrie when it happened....not a fun weekend. Anyways, went I fixed everything, I used the MORE motor mounts and I was very impressed with them. I didn't think the vibs were too bad to start off with and they did smooth out a little too (or I just got used to it). Overall, I'd rather have the little vibs from the MORE mounts than to re-live that weekend.

I personally don't think the vibs are that bad considering the down side of a broken mount.

My thought is if it's a trail rig your going to get your normal rattles and squeaks.
Funny.. If I know where and what the noise is, it doesn't bother me.

at lights I consider them a little 'buzzy'... Not really a vibration.

But it is a ton better than replacing radiators, and exhaust headers etc....

Yes on all accounts. The vibes were very noticeable at first, they calmed down after a month or so. It still rattles all of the dash plastic at stoplights, my son is constantly pushing his hands on the glove box and surrounding plastic. I tell him it's a losing battle.

I had the same issue with the stock ones as most of you, the rubber failed and the motor was flopping around a bit. Replaced it before any further damage was done. Definitely a worthwhile upgrade, for peace of mind if nothing else.

One more for the M.O.R.E. Bombproof mounts. I kept cracking the exhaust hanger at the transmission crossmember until I put the Bombproofs on. No issues since.

so installed the more boom proof mounts and now my xj has crazy vibs at red lights did the tranny mount as well....question is is this normal or what.
dan

It helps if you neutralize them by loosing the trans mount and motor mounts at the same time, start the engine for a second and re-tighten everything down.

Does MOORE sell a good tranny mount for the ax-15? Also are the Ax-15 and auto mounts the same bolt in wise? If not MOORE who sells a good tranny mount that will last. Also since I will not be experiencing vibes at idle because of the 5-speed should i skip on the torsion rubber and go all the way for poly all around? It is a DD/ and weekend warrior.

Again yes they will brake in some, another factor is how tight you put the bolt that goes through the mount, use a nylock and just get it slightly tighter than hand tight and it will minimize your vibrations. Brown Dogs motor mounts come w/ specific instructions about this.

I noticed a small amount of vibaration upon installing urethane motor mounts, but nothing too severe, i have never been bothered by it. I did not notice any reduction as they broke in. I dunno what the more mounts are made of, but if they're urethane, of course they will increase vibration.

so like fordguy said i neutralized them by loosing the trans mount and motor mounts at the same time, start the engine for a second and re-tighten everything down.
AND bam its all good well at least the one motor mount made a big bang when i loosened it and when i drove away the vibs where less noticable thank for the great tip..oh ford guy you would prob appreciate what i just bought..and that would be a 1965 mustang with a cleveland in it 4 speed.
Dan

Mine are a bit buzzy, but I just turn up the stereo.

Back