• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1996 xj rough idle, cuts out under load

JT4Spencer

NAXJA Forum User
1996 xj ,4.0 HO, Auto, 178k miles, jeepers bored throttle body, throttle body spacer, k&N intake, Banks header.

I have a rough idle, and cuts out completly for a second or two under acceleration randomly. especially at startup and when cold. if i hold the rpms up to 2000 it will then rev up to 2300 then sputter and stumble and come back 2000 and repeat.

Check engine light on, codes are:
PO108 manifold absolute pressure/baro sensor high
PO132 02 circuit high voltage (bank 1/sensor 1)

It has idled rough for a few seconds at start up for a few months but it was just the idle then never cut out under accelleration.

I installed new plugs (EC3), wires accel 8mm, mopar cap,rotor and coil. new o2 sensor bosch, and fuel filter.

It all started to get bad yesterday after I pressure washed the engine. I pulled all three connectors on throttle body i believe the TPS,MAP, and idle air sensors?? cleaned with electro solve and blew out. still the same. I also have a bad exhaust leak which since I can't find or feel it on the header i am thinking it is at the gasket. Maybe i washed away all the grease and now it is leaking worse??

I noticed while watching the sensors with the scan tool that the short term fuel setting jumps around when it stumbles. The problem is at its worst when cold under 160' so I am guessing not 02 sensor related??

Any ideas, I am new to the scan tool business so I really don't know what to look for.

Thank in advance
Jeff

I really did search all day yesterday, maybe I missed the obvious? I found most the info on renix engines, I wasn't sure if they had the same sensors and computer set up.

RENIX is similar but different than our later models. Mine's a 2000. They have TPS, IAC, MAP, 2 temp sensores instead of 1. Their computers don't hold the fault codes like ours will. You are in sunny California. Open your hood and try to get stuff to dry out. Did you use dielectric grease on your spark plug wire connections? That will help in a water situation. Did you pop off your distributor cap and dry that out. When I used to wash my motor, that was the most likely cause of a no-start. Another likely area for water to bother is the TPS. Maybe the plug at your temp sensor is shorted by water?

Thanks i will check for more water. I did use silicone grease on plugs and rubber seals on sensors but it sure won't hurt to be sure they are dry.

IAC sensor that is on the engine side of the throttle body? IAC = idle air control?

Thanks for the help

Back