• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

bump stop

xjjk

NAXJA Forum User
I found myself in need of bump stopping the backside so I was having a discussion with a friend of mine and came up with this thought...
Took some old leaf spring clamps and ubolts from a donor when I did the bastard lift...
a hockey puck
a grinder to clearance the shock absorber..
and so far, so good...
harros19eightysomething004.jpg

harros19eightysomething003.jpg

Interesting. looks like a good idea. Iv also seen somewhere on here about using box tubing and longer bolts, you through the box between the stock bump stop and the frame. dropping it down about 2inches. given you already had this stuff I think it looks like a good idea.

thanks.

I'd heard some guys had issues with the bolts in the frame breaking off so there was that plate off the spring pack idea- which I was about to do. This is clearly a lot less work involved. With this I can see going up easily to 2 pucks no problem if needed. The bolts themselves keep the puck from escaping too, but I'd probably run a bolt thru them if I doubled them up just in case.

I would find a way to put the pucs on the other side (top side) of the spring plates. The way you have it, over time the rubber will compress, the 'U' bolts become loose and rotate on the axle and ......

I would find a way to put the pucs on the other side (top side) of the spring plates. The way you have it, over time the rubber will compress, the 'U' bolts become loose and rotate on the axle and ......

Agreed. Just use some gorilla glue or epoxy to hold them to the plate. Good idea, just put the pucks on top of the plate. Of course, you could also just weld the plate to the axle tube and ditch the u-bolts...I don't see any reason why that would not work.

yeah I could do that. it'd be easy to do..... except the threads on the ubolt are almost all used up just holding the puck on, so they're gonna have to be tapped further, or find a different ubolt.

wonder how long it will take for the rubber to compress? They still meet the factory bumpstop.
as for welding- I haven't learned how to do it yet, and figured there's probably a majority out there who can't also. This is a way easy DIY.

Last edited:
I'm sure you could offer up a 6-pack to someone close by to you. If you had the surfaces prepared for welding...that would take all of 5 minutes to do. Check your chapter!

yep. already had a guy ready to do that but my free time is spotty and hate to hold someone up if I can't make it. maybe something to do for a more long term solution.

Back