• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bedline Preperation

w0mps

NAXJA Forum User
I am going to be bedlining my lower doors and quarter panels, as soon as I replace my rocker panel this week. I had cut and folded my rear fenders, and cut the fronts. When I folded the rears, the paint had chipped and left bare metal, which is now rusting. My question is what's the best way to prepare for the bedliner to stick and to last awhile. I want to bring the bedliner about an inch or two past the arch of each fenders, to cover up the scratches caused by the flares. I've seen some guys get some perfect rounded paint lines. How do I go about getting a good paint line? I've tried blue tape and it seems like it would come out very uneven. Just looking for tips here, thanks guys.

sand the the rust away as much as possible. Prime the bare metal and then sand it, before you put the liner on , it will stick much better. I used blue tape and really couldn't get a straight line either. I did my whole quarter instead.
100_3690.jpg

Well it's only been about a month since the bare metal so I think it's just surface rust, which is not a big deal. I actually have seen pictures of your job and I think it looks great. You used duplicolor right? I am planning on using it as well, because it sprays on thin unlike other bedliners. I am thinking of just taping the fender up real well, and using a razor to cut away the tape to make my own line when I am ready to paint it.

use autoprep or a good cleaner/degreaser before you put down any new coats onto the bare metal.
you'll definately want to do atleast 2 coats of the liner for the best, most even/uniform coverage.
this is almost redundant but the more time you take prepping everything and taping/masking everything off, the better it will look finished.

xjjeepthing, is that the 12,000lb recovery hook? that thing is massive!

I just shot the rear cargo area (the whole floor pan is the long term goal, but its a DD and I work a lot...) and it came out pretty well, used Plasti-Kote from WalMart (7.95 / can)
I cleaned, sanded, cleaned with soap, rinsed, two coats primer, sanded cleaned & rinsed it again before I shot the truck liner. You have to shake the bejesus out of aerosol stuff. I wasted my first can of the stuff because i only shook it for a minute - as instructed - and it didn't spray right. Thinking it was defective I threw it in the dumpster...
Anyway - prep the hell out of everything. Go slow. The results will be worth it.
PS
Has anyone tried black electrical tape for masking a rounded line? it will stretch & deform pretty neatly to a lot of round lines. We use it to seal portion-control devices onto liquor bottles at work and it will stay smooth around a 2" radius flat circle... should be able to get a clean line around a fender trim. Just an idea...

Back