• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

RE DBs and axle swap

Tommy4949

NAXJA Forum User
Well, if anyone has read my other thread, I blew up my D30 a couple weeks ago. I just pulled another D30 to swap in today. I also have a set of RE drop brackets and braces that have been sitting on my garage floor for a couple years. I figured, since I'm pulling the entire axle, it might be a good time to put those in.

I was wondering if anyone else has installed them with the axle out and if there is anything I should be aware of that wasn't mentioned in yucca-man's write-up.

They can be a pain in the arse! i would highly suggest not tightening any bolts until it is together

IMO, drop brackets were pretty easy to install. I didn't have any of the issues that others have mentioned. I used RC drop brackets.

They can be a pain in the arse! i would highly suggest not tightening any bolts until it is together

x2 Leave everything loose until you get all the bolts in place. I also used bar clamps to pull the "tails" in line with the "unibody rails".

Thanks for the heads up guys. I guess my biggest question is, should I go ahead and install the brackets and braces while the axle is out or should I install the axle first, then do the DBs? I only ask because all the info out there says to do one side at a time and I'd be doing both at once since the whole axle would be out of it.

i say it would be easiest to install the DB's first then install the axle.

OK, a little problem. I started pulling my broken D30 to swap in a non-broken D30. I put the jack stands between the tranny cross member and the lower control arm mounts. As I did, I noticed they are right where the braces go for my RE drop brackets. It's raining and I wanted to get started, so the axle is 3/4 of the way out, no way I'm able to move the jack stands now.

My question is, can I add the braces after I get the DB's and axle installed? If so, will it be a relatively painless job, you know, a couple hours?

I'm really curious if I should just wait to do the DB's after the axle is in so I can install the braces at the same time.

TIA

Yes, you can do the braces after. I wouldn't drive until they are on.

I agree, you can do the braces after you get the axle in. It will just be harder to do, but it will be doable. I wouldn't do any wheeling until the braces are in though. As far as not driving all together, RE does sell just the drop brackets, so you should be alright. You have to order the braces as well, they don't come together. RE wouldn't sell just the DB's unless you couldn't drive around with them.

I agree begster. RE does sell the braces and DB's seperately and the install directions indicate that the braces are not absolutely necessary. I think the braces are more for actually offroading and not needed for mall crawling... thanks for the replies.

I'll have to look at the instructions to see if I can figure out if the DBs have to be loosened up or anything to install the braces. If someone with experience installing the braces after the DB's were installedcould chime in, that would be great.

You'll love the DB's...

I don't know if you have RE Arms, but here's a link to a thread describing what Begster and I had to do to get the RE Arms into the DB pocket. Unless they changed the design, you'll have to do something similar to get the arms in there.

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=927713

BTW I agree that you can put the DBs on now and the braces after to get your axel back together. You may have to loosen up things up a little. The brace is actually designed to warp slightly when you tighten everything down. But, if I remember right, it fit up quite nicely.

Good luck

IMO, drop brackets were pretty easy to install. I didn't have any of the issues that others have mentioned. I used RC drop brackets.

x2 no issues except getting the lower ctrl arms in, had to use a press thingie to open it up enough...

this is similar to what begster had to do, again i am running rubicon express arms

2657_1169830771463_1398781016_31422124_1144059_n.jpg

Well, I got my DBs and axle all in. All I have left to do is tighten all the bolts. Which bolts need to stay loose until I get it set on all 4 tires again? Should I tighten up the mounting bolts and only leave the control arms loose? I don't want this falling apart on my while driving down the street. Thanks.

Back