• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Gibson "Catback" System Question

NewToJeeps

NAXJA Forum User
Hey all,

Finally got my rear end back up with new OE spec leafs, Bilstein Heavy Duty shocks all around, and some new tires all put on. Needless to say, this thing now handles/rides like a caddy!

Anyway, my muffler's reached the end, so after quite a bit of research around the forums I went ahead and ordered it. (slip connection to cat)

Jeep is 2000 Classic, with the precats that run off the exhaust manifold.

The question is simple: Does this new Gibson exhaust bolt right behind the little cat that's under the jeep? This thing looks almost like a resonator, but from the searching I've done, most folks are saying it's another cat -- without 02 plugs/sensors! Can I bolt right up behind this thing? Anyone have this setup??

As far as I know yes, it is after all called a "cat-back" I personally either piece my stuff together myself or get a local exhaust shop to do my bending.

Is anybody running a setup like this? Or has anybody eliminated this "cat" and run just a straight pipe? I've searched for 3 days straight and can't seem to find an answer that makes me comfortable with this install.

I have this set up and yes, It bolts up behind the cat... Really easy job... shouldn't take much more than an hour unless you have rust issues. I really love how the gibson sounds too. Its very deep without being too loud. the only issue i have with it is that it tends to scrape on rocks. mines all dented. :bawl: it still sounds good though

I have this set up and yes, It bolts up behind the cat... Really easy job... shouldn't take much more than an hour unless you have rust issues. I really love how the gibson sounds too. Its very deep without being too loud. the only issue i have with it is that it tends to scrape on rocks. mines all dented. :bawl: it still sounds good though

That's reassuring, thanks! I'm ok when it comes to working on my own stuff, but just afraid to muck anything up down there.

My truck is pretty much stock and I intend to keep it that way since it's my DD.

Back